Responsible for promoting study abroad opportunities to Juniata students, including advising students and supporting faculty in program development, and planning and implementing promotion and outreach activities. Participates as a member of the Center for International Education team to accomplish the overall mission of internationalization on the Juniata campus.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the recruitment, selection, orientation and re-entry of study abroad students.
- Maintain and share accurate study abroad databases.
- Assist with student billing for study abroad programs.
- Coordinate with faculty and staff across campus to enhance experiential learning opportunities.
- Administer intercultural learning assessment tools at CIE events, including both student learning evaluations and office/program evaluations.
- Collaborate and communicate with overseas counterparts and partner institutions regarding outbound student applicants.
- Collaborate with Dean and Assistant Dean to coordinate campus visits from partner institutions abroad, CIE events, and program evaluation.
- Serve as the primary campus advisor for educational opportunities abroad.
- Assist international students as needed.
- Advise students, faculty, staff and parents on Juniata College's administrative policies and procedures related to study abroad.
- Work with faculty members to assess appropriate program placement with regard to academic, personal, professional, and financial goals for study abroad.
- Guide students through (online) application, acceptance, registration, orientation, and evaluation processes.
- Support and communicate with students currently studying abroad, and their parents, as appropriate.
- Oversee campus-based study abroad scholarship process.
Promotion and Outreach
- Plan and lead events for the CIE, such as an annual study abroad fair, and pre- and post-orientations for study abroad.
- Oversee the International Peer Advising Program.
- Research and promote study abroad scholarship opportunities.
- Maintain the web-based information associated with study abroad.
- As assigned by the Dean, conduct international site visits with current and potential partner institutions.
- Represent Juniata at college-wide events, as well as at professional conferences and events.
Functions under established guidelines and with general direction from Dean of International Education. Works cooperatively and collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups. Has a limited/occasional supervisory responsibility over student assistants.
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through 3 to 5 years' experience in a field related to international education, as well as a relevant educational background through a Bachelor's degree.
- Previous experience living/studying abroad (minimum three months). Facility with a second language desirable.
- Minimum of two years in counseling/advising role, preferably in a study abroad office, including student advising, public speaking, handling confidential matters, understanding cultural diversity of international students.
- Competency in computer applications, file management, information gathering and communication.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy office.
- The ability to perform limited evening and weekend work, and periodic domestic and international travel.