Halloween Safety

  • When shopping for costumes and accessories, purchase only those with a label indicating they are flame-resistant or -retardant.
  • Use only battery powered lanterns or chemical light sticks in place of candles, in decorations and costumes.
  • Buy fresh batteries for your smoke alarms.
  • Check outdoor lights and replace burned-out bulbs.
  • Take extra effort to eliminate tripping hazards on your porch and walkway. Check your property for wet leaves, flower pots, support wires or garden hoses that may prove hazardous to young children.
  • Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs, heaters, and jack-o-lanterns.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets and extension cords with holiday lighting, or special effects.
  • Do not block exit doors.
  • Remember as a driver to remain cautious and drive slowly through the community.
  • Adult partygoers should establish and reward a designated driver.
  • Law enforcement officials should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
  • Turn off all lights used as decoration in your home when you leave or go to bed. The lights could short out and start a fire.

Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa safety

  • Selecting a tree: Needles on fresh trees should be green and hard to pull from the branches. The trunk should be sticky to the touch. Old trees are a fire hazard.
  • Caring for your tree: Do not place your tree close to a heat source, including fireplaces and heat vents. Be careful not to drop cigarette ashes near a tree. Do not put your tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks. Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
  • Disposing of your tree: Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood burning stove.
  • When the tree dries out, discard it promptly. The best way to dispose of your tree is by taking it to a recycling center or having it hauled away by a community pick-up service.
  • Do not go near a holiday tree with an open flame: candles, lighters or matches.
  • If you are using a metallic or artificial tree, make sure it is flame-retardant.
  • Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken sockets, and excessive kinking. Use only lighting listed by an approved testing laboratory.
  • Do not link more than three light strands to an electrical outlet, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the socket.
  • Make sure to periodically check the wires; they should not be warm to the touch.
  • Do not leave holiday lights on unattended. Turn off all lights when you leave or go to bed.
  • All decorations should be non-flammable and placed away from heat vents.
  • Never put wrapping paper in a fireplace. It can throw off dangerous sparks and produce a chemical buildup that could cause an explosion.
  • If you use lit candles, make sure they are in stable holders and place them where they cannot be easily knocked down. Never leave the house with candles burning.
  • When lighting candles, be aware of loose hair or clothing that could hang down and catch fire.
  • Adult partygoers should establish and reward a designated driver.
  • Law enforcement officials should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.