With the strengths of the designated Program of Emphasis in Communication or the power to create your own path with Juniata's Individualized Program of Emphasis, we have what you need to get you to where you want to be.
Our department is aligned with the learning outcomes of the National Communication Association (NCA), which explains how “communication constructs the social world and is relational, collaborative, strategic, symbolic, and adaptive.” These national learning outcomes are what you can expect to meet in your Communication classes:
What is Communication
National Communication Association
Learn more about communication
visit website 🔗
- Describe the Communication discipline and its central questions
- Employ Communication theories, perspectives, principles, and concepts
- Engage in Communication inquiry
- Create messages appropriate to the audience, purpose, and context
- Critically analyze messages
- Demonstrate the ability to accomplish communicative goals (self-efficacy)
- Apply ethical communication principles and practices
- Utilize communication to embrace difference
- Influence public discourse
- Communication combines the studies of interpersonal, intercultural, group, and mass communication.
- Health Communication is the study of communication as it relates to health professions and health education.
- Integrated Media Arts is an interdisciplinary POE that combines the studies of art, communication, information technology/computer science, and English.
- Theatre Arts is a collaborative form of performing art that uses live performers to present the experience of a real or imagined event before a live audience.
- Communication Secondary Emphasis is designed to bring the power of communication to a chosen field.
- Human Communication: focuses on how people communication across relationships, national and international boundaries, and different cultural background
- Film and Media Studies: focuses on how people make use of different forms of media (print, radio, TV, film, social media, etc.) to interact with audiences
- Strategic Communication: focuses on how people communicate within an organization to fulfill its mission
- Environmental Communication Emphasis: highlights how people, societies, and organizations interact with and effect the environment
- Health Communication Emphasis: highlights how people work in different healthcare contexts
- Business Communication Emphasis: highlights how people share information and ideas between each other within and outside a company
Students have the opportunity to Individualize their POE. The options are as limitless as the student is creative. Some individualized POEs include (but are not limited to):
- Business Communication
- Environmental Communication
- Multimedia Communication
- Communication and Education Studies
- Communication and Marketing
- Political Communication
- Public Relations Communication
- Communication with Sports Administration
- Multimedia Journalism
- Multimedia Production