A Job, Internship and Networking Fair
Friday, February 26, 2021, 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Career Day 2021 will be conducted as a virtual event using the Handshake platform.
A virtual career fair is simply a career fair online. Students will be meeting with employer representatives and recruiters via a webcam or a chat feature through Handshake. On the day of the event, students will log into the platform during their scheduled times.
STUDENT REGISTRATION: Click Here
Use your Juniata username and password to log into Handshake and register for the event
IMPORTANT - You must also sign up for one-on-one and/or group sessions in order to meet with employer representatives.
How to Prepare for a Virtual Career Fair (Before)
- Contact the Career Development Office to have your resume reviewed and to develop an elevator pitch.
- Make sure your Handshake profile is up-to-date. Learn how to Build Your Profile from Your Resume. This is the profile employers will see when you book meetings with them, so you want to make a good impression!
- Browse the list of employers to determine who you would like to meet with. Check back
regularly as new employers will continue to register up through the day of the event.
A complete list of employers registered to attend Career Day is available in Handshake.
- Research employers to make sure they are a good fit for you.
- Sign up for one-on-one sessions and/or group sessions with employers that interest you. Learn more about Signing Up For and Managing Virtual Sessions.
- Comprehensive Advice - please note this video tutorial was prepared for a different event that took place in Fall 2020, but is VERY relevant and full of great advice. Even more tips.
What To Expect on Career Day (During)
- Dress professionally, even though it is a virtual event. Avoid the temptation to "go casual on the bottom."
- Make sure you a situated in a distraction free location with a clear background. A virtual background can be used, but should be simple and professional. How to Look Good in Video Interviews.
- Log into your Handshake account to access your schedule.
- Test your technology and lighting BEFORE your first appointment.
- SHOW UP! If you signed up for a one-on-one appointment or a group session, don't waste the recruiter's time by not showing up and don't take that time slot from another student if you aren't really interested. Space is limited.
- Position your notes where you can easily access them without being distracted.
- Make sure you have something to take additional notes with during your conversation.
- Group sessions are limited to 30 minutes and can host up to 50 students per session. Group sessions are a great way to learn more about an employer and to take advantage of other students' questions.
- One-on-one sessions are limited to 10 minutes. Make the most of your time.
- Introduce yourself with your elevator pitch.
- Ask insightful questions based on your research and conversation with the recruiter.
- Be yourself!
- Before ending your session, make sure you have the recruiter's contact information.
How to Follow Up (After)
- Send a follow-up email message to the employers that interest you, preferably within 24 hours. Thank the employer, mention something memorable from your conversation, highlight your interest in the position and the company, and attach your resume.
- Apply to jobs with employers that you met with and/or are of interest to you. Be sure to follow instructions and be mindful of deadlines.
- Connect with employers on LinkedIn. Be sure your profile is up-to-date and that you include a personal message.
- If you don't hear back, don't be discouraged. Contact Career Development for advice on how to do further follow-up.