This affinity group, an officially recognized program of the Juniata College Alumni Relations Office, came into existence in the fall of 2008 as a way for all interested parties to support the instrumental music offerings of the College. The affinity group is open to any and all people interested in supporting the mission of our department, and is not limited to alums of the college. All instrumental alumni, including strings, winds, percussion, organ and piano, and former marching band and pep band members, including flags/rifles/batons, are invited to join as well.
The affinity group, once up and functioning, will provide support for future projects and events such as ensemble touring/hosting/related costs, assist with historical recordkeeping, promote attendance at instrumental concerts and at campus events, assist with funding of guest artists and fill-in players for concerts, and provide support of the planned new music building at Juniata.
A subgroup of the affinity group, joined by interested others, formed the nucleus of the planning and organizational committee for the "75th Anniversary of Bands at Juniata" celebration, held during Homecoming, October 1-3, 2010; an 80th anniversary celebration is planned for fall 2015..
Interested in joining the affinity group, and/or the planning committee for the bands' anniversary? Email Dr. Latten! And spread the word about our upcoming celebration. All are welcome to attend our meetings.
Agendas & Minutes
Below, in reverse order, are agendas and minutes from recent meetings:
Post-meeting minutes, Fall 2009
Two nearly identical meetings were held, on 9/19/09 and 10/31/09. The second, at homecoming, served dual roles as a working meeting of the reunion planning committee and an open house for parents and students at Homecoming. In addition to those listed below, Dan Weyandt '84, Doug Schunk '04 and Renae (Watkins) Schunk '04 were in attendance at one of the meetings. At each meeting:
- Introductions, reminiscences
- A quick overview of what’s going on in instrumental music at Juniata - current enrollments in the ensembles and plans for 2009-2010 concerts
- Refurbishment of the harpsichord; its premiere on November 15
- Update on the Moller Organ
- Plans for new music building
- Upcoming concert dates
- On November 15 we welcome back to campus violinist Gregg Ralston ’77. Gregg will perform two works with the JC orchestra.
- We are preparing for a very exciting event in April 2010 – the first ever “side by side” concert featuring the JC Orchestra and the Altoona Symphony Orchestra, performing "The Planets" by Holst
- Purposes/goals of our affinity group: Discuss possible avenues and means of financial support, begin to strive for endowments for instrument repair, instrument purchasing and replacement, possible touring, and underwriting of costs related to guest artists and ‘ringers’; encouragement of future students to attend Juniata and continue to play their instrument(s) here
- Planning for the "75th Anniversary of Bands Reunion" October 1-3, 2010: Tara Fitzsimmons '00, clarinet, has agreed to serve as event planning coordinator while Allison Estright '08, alto saxophone, (allison.estright08@alumni,juniata.edu) will serve as communications coordinator. Pam Detwiler '03, clarinet/bass clarinet, will be working with the scrapbooking/historical display preparations for the event
- The main publicity for the event will be included in the 2010 Homecoming Brochure. In addition, we’ll send a spring 2010 “save the date” card to all alumni
- So far, current director Latten, 1974-95 director Ibrook Tower, and alumni John Fleming '63 will be conducting pieces on the reunion concert. We continue to search for additional former directors.
- At each meeting we began to brainstorm the weekend's events: registration, rehearsals (for those who wish to play along with the current wind symphony on the concert), multiple social get togethers and a post-concert reception, and printed as well as video memories from those unable to attend.
Post-meeting minutes, Fall 2008
We held our first meeting on campus during Homecoming 2008 in late October, and issues regarding both the affinity group and the committee were discussed. Approximately 12 people were in attendance. We met as well as toured the current facilities for those who had not seen Swigart and/or Oller Hall in many years. We toured the site of the proposed new music building as well (currently it’s a parking lot!), and looked at the architectural drawings. We hope that the building will become a reality some day.
Many great ideas for the bands’ reunion were brought to the table, and we hope to have a planning meeting on a Saturday, sometime in the spring of 2009.
Agenda from the Fall 2008 charter meeting of the Instrumental Music Affinity Group
Welcome to the founding meeting of the Juniata College Instrumental Music Affinity Group!
Saturday, October 25, 2008, 11am, Swigart Music Hall
- Introductions, reminiscences
- Read list of alumni names that are interested but could not attend this meeting
- Preview of this agenda
- A quick overview of what’s going on in instrumental music at Juniata
- Current enrollments
- 60 students in wind symphony; 10-15 community members too
- 35 student string musicians in orchestra; 3 community members too. 10-15 of our top winds and percussionists also participate
- Beethoven V this fall!!
- 16 percussionists in percussion ensemble
- 12 in jazz combo
- Overall, nearly 225 out of our 1460 students participate in some form of instrumental music here – everything from guitar classes to ensembles
- Staffing – a listing of adjuncts
- Upcoming concerts and activities
- Frank Ticheli visits and conducts our 11/16 wind symphony concert!
- Percussion ensemble, Sunday November 23
- Orchestra, Thursday December 4
- Concerto competition winners perform
- Purposes/goals of our affinity group
- Discuss possible avenues and means of financial support
- Endowments for instrument repair, instrument purchasing and replacement, possible touring, and underwriting of costs related to guest artists
- Organize a leadership team to manage and lead the planning for the Fall 2010 Band Alumni Reunion, to be held homecoming 2010
- Organization of photos and other memorabilia
- Encouragement of future students to attend Juniata and continue to play their instrument(s) here
- Plans for new music building
- Discuss the Affinity Group Charter
- Tour of our facilities
- Return to Swigart Hall, fill out the Affinity Group Charter
- 75th anniversary of Bands at Juniata: Fall 2010: Initial planning meeting