Through study abroad, psychology students have the opportunity to be more directly exposed to locations, issues, and cultures that are relevant to their current and future professional interests. In addition, students may have the opportunity to take courses that are not offered in our department: e.g., Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Psychological Testing, or Sleep & Dreams.
Psychology students may study abroad at almost any point in their time at Juniata. However, students will need to balance study abroad with completing the following courses that are required for the POE in Psychology: Research Methods & Statistics I (PY 360), Research Methods & Statistics II (PY 361), and Capstone in Psychology (PY 415). Faculty strongly recommend that students complete the two methodology courses prior to going abroad, though we recognize that this may not always be possible. The Capstone in Psychology course requires students to be in residence at Juniata for spring semester of their senior year.
Students completing the Designated POE in Psychology are required to take the following courses in residence at Juniata College: (a) Research Methods & Statistics I (PY 360), (b) Research Methods & Statistics II (PY 361), and (c) Capstone in Psychology (PY 415). Otherwise, students may complete many POE requirements while studying abroad. It is strongly recommended that students discuss potential psychology courses that may be taken abroad with their POE advisor and the Psychology Department chair prior to formally registering for study abroad.
- Enroll in a foreign language. Spanish may be especially helpful for those interested in clinical or counseling psychology.
- Participate in a summer study abroad program.
- Continue with the foreign language.
- Study abroad.
- Our students have studied abroad at a variety of institutions and there is no specific or typical destination for these students. We have had students study abroad in England, Northern Ireland, France, Australia, Germany, Spain, Ecuador, Greece, The Gambia, Czech Republic, New Zealand, and Scotland.
- Continue language courses and/or complete final POE requirements, including Capstone in Psychology.