Carnegie Hall was dedicated as Carnegie Library on April 17, 1907. It now houses the Juniata College Museum of Art.
Carnegie Hall was built in 1907 as the college library through funds provided by Andrew Carnegie and the citizens of Huntingdon. Designed by New York architect Edward Tilton, it reflects turn-of-the-century library planning. It includes a grand entrance stairway, a domed rotunda, and three separate wings that originally functioned as reading rooms and open stacks. The entire structure retains its original grandeur and elegance. In particular, the rotunda, dome, and Tiffany-style stained-glass oculus create an impressive central space.
Carnegie Hall served as the college library until 1963, when its holdings were transferred to the newly constructed L.A. Beeghly Library. Funds provided by Mabelle Shoemaker, wife of local historian and folklorist Col. Henry Shoemaker, helped to convert Carnegie Hall into a fine arts studio and exhibition center.
In 1998, the acquisition of the Worth B. Stottlemyer Collection led to the formation of the Juniata College Museum of Art. Through funds provided by Edwin A. and Susan Rabinowitz Malloy, Carnegie Hall was fully renovated as the Juniata College Museum of Art. In Summer 2021 the museum underwent renovation to develop the W. Parker Hayes Memorial Collection Preservation and Learning Facility to house our growing collection and provide easy access for students and the community to works not on view.