(Posted September 14, 2005)

Lycoming 2, Juniata 1

Williamsport, Pa. - A strong all-around effort, and a spirited comeback was not enough for the Juniata College men's soccer team to earn a non-conference victory as the Eagles fell to Lycoming 2-1 in Williamsport Wednesday afternoon. The loss dropped Juniata to 1-4 on the season, while the Warriors improved their record to 4-1.

After falling behind 2-0 as Lycoming scored goals in the first half and early in the second half, Juniata answered with a goal of its own in the 71st minute. Brandon Grim (Dallastown/Dallastown) took a pass from Chad A. Weller (Newport/Newport) and knocked it past the Lycoming keeper to cut the lead to 2-1. The goal was the first career tally for Grim.

Juniata would continue to pressure over the final 20 minutes searching for the equalizer. Juniata fired off six shots late in the second half, one of which forced a save from Warriors keeper Ryan Humphreys. But the Eagles could not find the back of the net to send the match into overtime.

Lycoming struck midway through the first have as a long shot from Phil Kratochvil found the back of the net and gave the home team the lead at the 23:51 mark. Tony Komons was credited with an assist on the goal. Eagles keeper Tim Penrod (Moravia/Moravia, N.Y.) kept the game tight as he made all three of his saves in the remainder of the first half.

Lycoming increased the margin to 2-0 early in the second stanza. Matt Frey snuck a pass through Juniata's defense, and Jeff Kocher chipped the ball over Penrod to extend the lead. It was one of only five shots the home team managed in the second half as Juniata controlled the play. Humphreys made four of his eight saves in the second half to help secure the lead.

Juniata will be back in action on Saturday as the Eagles take on nationally ranked Carnegie Mellon on the road.


Our readers respond...

Be the first to provide a response.

Contact April Feagley at feaglea@juniata.edu or (814) 641-3131 for more information.