Women's tennis falls to Frostburg State, 6-3
(Posted April 7, 2011)
FROSTBURG, Md. -- Juniata College women's tennis carried one point out of doubles and into singles play, but was unable to get the four points in singles to take the match in a 6-3 loss to Frostburg State, Thursday afternoon in Frostburg, Md.
Lauren Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) and Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) posted an 8-5 win over Frostburg's Megan Martin and Amber Beckman at no. 2 doubles, giving the Eagles (5-9) their single point in doubles action.
Megan Phillips (Jefferson Hills, Pa./Thomas Jefferson) earned a three-set win at no. 1 singles, fighting off Frostburg's Sarah Stephens to post a 6-1, 3-6, 6-0 win. Laura Gregory also required three sets to notch a no. 4 singles win over Jannill Sites, 1-6, 7-5, 6-1.
Walsh also forced her no. 5 singles opponent, Amber Beckman, into a third set, but dropped the third set and fell 6-0, 4-6, 6-1.
Juniata returns to the courts on Saturday, April 9, when it hosts Goucher College in a Landmark Conference match.
Frostburg State 6, Juniata College 3
1. Megan Phillips (JUN) def. Sarah Stephens (FSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-0
2. Megan Martin (FSU) def. Stacie Beegle (JUN) 6-1, 7-5
3. Vicky Stafford (FSU) def. Lauren Perow (JUN) 6-1, 6-4
4. Laura Gregory (JUN) def. Jannill Sites (FSU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-1
5. Amber Beckman (FSU) def. Hilary Walsh (JUN) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
6. Jill Farester (FSU) def. No player (JUN), by forfeit
1. Sarah Stephens/Vicky Stafford (FSU) def. Megan Phillips/Stacie Beegle (JUN) 8-6
2. Lauren Perow/Hilary Walsh (JUN) def. Megan Martin/Amber Beckman (FSU) 8-5
3. Ashley Kuhns/Jannill Sites (FSU) def. Laura Gregory/Rachel Adams (JUN) 8-2
Frostburg State 3-6
Our readers respond...
Contact April Feagley at email@example.com or (814) 641-3131 for more information.