Juniata men's tennis breezes past Goucher; women's tennis unable to get past Gophers
(Posted April 9, 2011)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. -- Juniata College men's tennis broke into the Landmark Conference win column on Saturday, sailing past Goucher College, 8-1, on the Raffensperger Tennis Courts.
The Eagles women's team was not able to match the men's team's success, and dropped a 7-2 decision to the Gophers.
The win was the first conference win of the season for the Juniata men (5-8, 1-3 Landmark), after the Eagles played their first three Landmark matches against the teams picked to finish first through third in the league's preseason poll.
Juniata swept all three doubles matches in men's play, then quickly captured wins at no. 1 and no. 3 singles to put the outcome of the match beyond doubt, before Goucher was able get its lone win at no. 2 singles.
Sophomore Matt Butler (Salisbury, Conn./Salisbury School) earned his first collegiate victories, teaming with Scott Andrews (Hollidaysburg, Pa./Altoona) for an 8-2 triumph at no. 3 doubles then posting a convincing 6-4, 6-2 win at no. 6 singles over Goucher's Seth Manfield.
Andrews picked up his first win at no. 5 singles play this season, recording a 6-1, 6-0 win over Dave Hemelt.
Arnab Chakrabarti (Alpharetta, Ga./Alpharetta) also picked up a pair of wins, including a hard-fought victory at no. 4 singles over the Gophers' Daniel Csete, 6-4, 6-2. Earlier in the afternoon in doubles action, Chakrabarti paired up with Justin Wisniewski (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) for an 8-3 win over Goucher's Steven Baum and David Spivey at no. 1 doubles.
In the women's match, Hilary Walsh (Waynesboro, Pa./Waynesboro Area) had the lone Juniata win with her 6-3, 6-3 victory over Andrea Stephaich at no. 5 singles. Lauren Perow (Huntingdon, Pa./Huntingdon Area) took Goucher's Mara Bergman to a supertiebreaker at no. 3 singles, before eventually falling 4-6, 6-4, 10-7.
Juniata men's tennis returns to the courts on Monday, April 11, when it hosts Washington & Jefferson College on the Raffensperter Tennis Courts. The women will next appear at home on Saturday, April 16, when they host Catholic University at 12:00 p.m.
Juniata College 8, Goucher 1
1. Justin Wisniewski (JUN) def. David Spivey (GOU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Steve Baum (GOU) def. Elliott Perow (JUN) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Brice Morey (JUN) def. Billie Weiss (GOU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) def. Daniel Csete (GOU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Scott Andrews (JUN) def. Dave Hemelt (GOU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Matt Butler (JUN) def. Seth Manfield (GOU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Justin Wisniewski/Arnab Chakrabarti (JUN) def. Steve Baum/David Spivey (GOU) 8-3
2. Elliott Perow/Brice Morey (JUN) def. Daniel Csete/Billie Weiss (GOU) 8-6
3. Scott Andrews/Matt Butler (JUN) def. Brett Blackman/Dave Hemelt (GOU) 8-2
Goucher 2-6, 1-3 Landmark
Juniata College 5-8, 1-3 Landmark
Goucher 7, Juniata College 2
1. Joan Pulupa (GOU) def. Megan Phillips (JUN) 6-2, 6-2
2. Meaghan Lee (GOU) def. Stacie Beegle (JUN) 6-2, 6-4
3. Mara Bergman (GOU) def. Lauren Perow (JUN) 4-6, 6-4, 10-7
4. Addie Maxwell (GOU) def. Laura Gregory (JUN) 6-1, 6-0
5. Hilary Walsh (JUN) def. Andrea Stephaich (GOU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jacqui Lamer (GOU) def. Tiereney Miller (JUN) 6-2, 6-2
1. Megan Phillips/Stacie Beegle (JUN) def. Joan Pulupa/Mara Bergman (GOU) 8-5
2. Meaghan Lee/Addie Maxwell (GOU) def. Lauren Perow/Hilary Walsh (JUN) 9-7
3. Jacqui Lamer/Andrea Stephaich (GOU) def. Laura Gregory/Rachel Adams (JUN) 8-2
Goucher 6-8, 3-0 Landmark
Juniata College 5-10, 0-4 Landmark
Our readers respond...
Contact Gabe Welsch at firstname.lastname@example.org or (814) 641-3131 for more information.