Juniata College Sponsors Meal for CROP
(Posted March 24, 2003)
HUNTINGDON, Pa. --Juniata College students, under the leadership of the Christian Ministry Board and Juniata College Campus Ministry, will sponsor the annual "Meal for CROP" from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 1 at the college's dining facility, Baker Refectory in Ellis College Center.
Each year, Juniata's Christian Ministry Board plans the event and asks Juniata students to give up their evening meal so those meals can be sold to the general public. Their places in line are sold to members of the community and the money is donated to CROP.
Tickets may be purchased by calling the Campus Ministry office at (814) 641-3361, or by buying tickets at the door on the evening of the meal. In addition, tickets for this year's Juniata "Meal for CROP" may be purchased at the Information Desk in the lobby of Ellis College Center or from local churches participating in the program. Tickets are $7 per person, $5 for children between the ages of 6 and 12, while children under six are free.
In addition, this year some local restaurants have agreed to donate a percentage of their food sales between the hours of 5:30 and 7:30 p.m. to the CROP total. Each year, 75 percent of the funds collected go to CROP and the remaining 25 percent is donated to the Huntingdon Area Food Bank to fight hunger at the local level.
Over the past 18 years, members of the Huntingdon community have helped to raise more than $50,000 for hunger relief.
CROP, an organization of the Church World Service, fights hunger throughout the world. Its programs of funding relief for hunger and self-help projects are targeted primarily to developing countries, but projects within the United States often receive funding as well. CROP also sends emergency supplies to support disaster relief efforts around the world.
Contact April Feagley at email@example.com or (814) 641-3131 for more information.