Due to the acknowledged hazards arising from exposure to tobacco, it will be the policy of Juniata to provide a tobacco-free environment for all employees, students, and visitors. All administrative buildings, classrooms, and individual offices are designated as tobacco free.
This policy covers the smoking of any tobacco product and the use of smokeless tobacco and applies to both employees, students, and non-employee visitors of Juniata.
- There will be no use of tobacco products within the facilities at any time. The decision
to provide or not provide designated smoking areas outside the building will be at
the discretion of management or other decision-making body. The designated smoking
area will be located at least 20 feet from the main entrance or at containers provided
for the disposal of tobacco by-products.
All materials used for smoking, including cigarette butts and matches, will be extinguished and disposed of in appropriate containers. If the designated smoking area is not properly maintained (for example, if cigarette butts are found on the ground), it can be eliminated at the discretion of management.
- There will be no tobacco in any Juniata vehicle.
Supervisors will discuss the issue of smoking breaks with their staff. Together they will develop effective solutions that do not interfere with the productivity of the staff.
- Employees will be informed of this policy through signs posted in Juniata facilities and vehicles, the policy statement, and orientation for new hires.
- Visitors will be informed of this policy through signs, and it will be explained by their host.
- The College will assist employees who wish to quit smoking by facilitating access to recommended smoking cessation programs and materials. Please contact the department of human resources for more information.
- Any violations of this policy will be handled through area vice-presidents and supervising managers.