Student Application Information

If you are new to the office or a new student, you must fill out the AIM application. If you have your documentation ready to attach, then you can do that in the application. Otherwise if your documentation is not available, you can add documentation after the consultation with the Student Accessibility Services Office.

Step 1: Complete an an application in our Accessible Information Management System (AIM).

Apply Here

Step 2: Make an appointment.

The office of Student Accessibility Services will reach out to you upon submitting an application.

Step 3: Consultation

In your consultation with the Director of Student Accessibility Services discuss the barriers to access encountered and impact experienced (whether academic or life impact) related to your condition.

Personalized accommodations are determined in conversation between the Director and the student.

Step 4: Customize your accommodations each term.

At the start of each term, you will login to AIM (also found on ARCH under Applications) and customize your accommodations for each class through the AIM System. Your specific accommodations are populated into a Faculty Notification Letter and sent to them in their email.

Step 5: Discuss Accommodations with Faculty each semester

Students are asked to speak with their faculty members about their accommodations each semester. This allows for the student to receive the specific learning accommodations that are needed for each course.

Step 6: Renew Accommodations each semester

Each semester students are responsible for renewing their accommodations with Student Accessibility Services. No need to submit documentation again, unless there is a new diagnosis.

Renew Here
Housing Form Emotional Support Animal Form

If you are applying for any type of housing accommodation or emotional support animal, you must have your mental health or medical provider (physician) complete the appropriate forms.


What is the difference between high school and college for students with disability accommodations?

The main difference between high school and college as it relates to disability accommodations is that the student must initiate and advocate for their accommodations. This advocacy includes completing an application to request their accommodations for the first time, sending their faculty notifications through the AIM (Accessible Information Management) system each semester, and speaking with instructors about their accommodations. If you feel you are not receiving your stated accommodations and you have spoken with your instructor about that concern, you can contact our office and we will work with you and your instructor towards a resolution.

Here are resources to help you understand the differences:
High School vs. College with Disabilities
Department of Education Office of Civil Rights: College Transition Information

What documentation is needed to qualify for services from Student Accessibility Services?

In general, the documentation should:

  • Be provided by a licensed professional, qualified in the appropriate specialty area; the report should be on letterhead, dated and signed.
  • Include both diagnostic information and an explanation of the current functional limitations of the condition. It should be thorough enough to indicate whether or not a major life activity is "substantially limited," that is it should explain what the extent, duration, and impact of the condition is
  • In most cases, it should be relatively recent; a suggested guideline is less than 3 years old. Documentation of conditions that are permanent or non-varying (e.g., a sensory disability) may not need to be as recent, but some chronic and/or changing conditions require even more current information to provide an accurate picture of functioning.
  • Be detailed enough to support the accommodations that are being requested. Accommodations are determined by assessing the impact of the person's disability on academic or work performance.
  • For a variable or progressive condition, include the degree and range of functioning.
  • Address the impact of medication or other treatments on major life activities.
How are accommodations determined for college?

After you complete an application requesting accommodations through our AIM Student Portal, our office will contact you via email requesting a consultation meeting time. In addition to reviewing your documentation, I ask you questions around the barriers you have experienced or expect in college and the life impact of your disability. We will determine together what accommodations are appropriate and reasonable based on your disability documentation and your narrative.

Our office follows the standards of AHEAD (Association on Higher Education and Disability). Its framework is guided by an interactive process with the student. Documentation is considered one piece of the puzzle. In a college setting, we do not provide remedial intervention, but we often have more assistive technology options than high schools.

AHEAD Professional Guidance on Accommodation Requests and Guidelines for Documentation
What can I do to prepare for college transition with my disability(ies)?
  1. Make sure you have a conversation with your family, parents, and/or teachers about your disability diagnosis, and what you should understand about the unique ways it has shaped who you are and how you navigate barriers best.
  2. Discuss with those people how your disability has contributed to your unique strengths and discuss how you can leverage those strengths in college.
  3. Recognize the challenges and stigma you may have experienced. How do you plan to face those challenges in college? Find out what resources will be available for you on campus.
  4. Plan how you will communicate if you are experiencing challenges in college. What is your plan? Who will you communicate with about your challenges?
What is most important for me to know about utilizing my accommodations and ensuring I have full access to college?
  1. 1) After you receive approval for disability accommodations, check for understanding of next steps and follow through with your part of the accommodation process. If approved, you will receive information about your accommodation eligibilities from Student Accessibility Services after your consultation including detailed instructions on how to send your faculty notification letters. You will also need to initiate requests in the AIM system relating to alternative textbook, peer notetaking, and test taking if you are eligible for those accommodations. Every semester, you will be responsible for sending faculty notifications about your accommodations through the AIM system.
  2. You will need to talk to your instructors about your accommodations. There is no need to disclose your disability, but only to speak with them about your specific needs related to the accommodations requested.
  3. Self-advocacy is proven not only to be required in many instances, but it also has been proven to contribute to the academic success of students with disabilities. If you have not done this much in the past, we are here to support you as you learn these skills.

Learn How to Self-Advocate in College
Self-Advocacy Worksheet
Talking to my Professors
Rights and Responsibilities