Juniata College is committed to working with students who have disabilities by championing disability as a natural part of human diversity, providing reasonable accommodations on an individualized and flexible basis, partnering with staff and faculty, and fostering self-advocacy skills.

Request Accommodations

If you are a new student or a current student who is new to the office and would like to request disability-related accommodations, you must fill out a new application in AIM (the Accessible Information Management platform). If you have your documentation ready to attach, then you can do that in the application. If your documentation is not available, you can add documentation later. More information about general guidelines for documentation can be found in FAQs. If you already have accommodations through the office and would like to request a new accommodation, please login into your AIM account and click on "Additional Accommodations or Documentation".

Step 1: Complete the Student Self-Disclosure/Application in our Accessible Information Management System (AIM).

Connect with SAS (Self-Disclose a Disability or Apply for Services)

Step 2: Make an appointment.

You will receive a confirmation email upon successful submission of your application. If you have questions or are requesting services, please follow the link in the email signature to book an Accommodations Consultation with the Director of Student Accessibility Services.

Step 3: Consultation

In your consultation with the Director of Student Accessibility Services discuss the barriers to access encountered and impact experienced (whether academic or life impact) related to your condition.

Personalized accommodations are determined in conversation between the Director and the student.

Step 4: Customize your accommodations each term.

At the start of each term, you will login to AIM (also found on ARCH under Applications) and customize your accommodations for each class through the AIM System. Your specific accommodations are populated into a Faculty Notification Letter and sent to them in their email.

Step 5: Discuss Accommodations with Faculty each semester

Students are asked to speak with their faculty members about their accommodations each semester. This allows for the student to receive the specific learning accommodations that are needed for each course.

Step 6: Renew Accommodations each semester

Each semester students are responsible for renewing their accommodations with Student Accessibility Services. No need to submit documentation again, unless there is a new diagnosis.

Renew Here

Housing Accommodations & Emotional Support Animals

Housing and Emotional Support Animal (ESA) accommodations require additional steps on behalf of the student and coordination with the Office of Residential Life. Please review the appropriate page linked above for more information.



Manage Accommodations

The Office of Student Accessibility Services utilizes the Accessible Information Management (AIM) platform to house and communicate accommodations information. Students can log into their AIM Dashboard to request additional accommodations, notify faculty of their accommodations each term, submit exam requests for the Testing Center, and complete forms and agreements related to their accommodations.

Access Your AIM Dashboard


What is the difference between high school and college for students with disability accommodations?

The main difference between high school and college as it relates to disability accommodations is that the student must initiate and advocate for their accommodations. This advocacy includes completing an application to request their accommodations for the first time, sending their faculty notifications through the AIM (Accessible Information Management) system each semester, and speaking with instructors about their accommodations. If you feel you are not receiving your stated accommodations and you have spoken with your instructor about that concern, you can contact our office and we will work with you and your instructor towards a resolution.

Here are resources to help you understand the differences:
High School vs. College with Disabilities
Department of Education Office of Civil Rights: College Transition Information

What documentation is needed to qualify for services from Student Accessibility Services?

In general, the documentation should:

  • Be provided by a licensed professional, qualified in the appropriate specialty area; the report should be on letterhead, dated and signed.
  • Include both diagnostic information and an explanation of the current functional limitations of the condition. It should be thorough enough to indicate whether or not a major life activity is "substantially limited," that is, it should explain the extent, duration, and impact of the condition.
  • Be detailed enough to support the accommodations that are being requested. Accommodations are determined by assessing the impact of the person's disability on academic or work performance.
  • In most cases, it should be relatively recent; a suggested guideline is less than 3 years old. Documentation of conditions that are permanent or non-varying (e.g., a sensory disability) may not need to be as recent, but some chronic and/or changing conditions require even more current information to provide an accurate picture of functioning.
  • For a variable or progressive condition, include the degree and range of functioning.
  • Address the impact of medication or other treatments on major life activities.
How are accommodations determined for college?

After you complete an application requesting accommodations through our AIM Student Portal, our office will contact you via email requesting a consultation meeting time. In addition to reviewing your documentation, I ask you questions around the barriers you have experienced or expect in college and the life impact of your disability. We will determine together what accommodations are appropriate and reasonable based on your disability documentation and your narrative.

Our office follows the standards of AHEAD (Association on Higher Education and Disability). Its framework is guided by an interactive process with the student. Documentation is considered one piece of the puzzle. In a college setting, we do not provide remedial intervention, but we often have more assistive technology options than high schools.

AHEAD Professional Guidance on Accommodation Requests and Guidelines for Documentation
What can I do to prepare for college transition with my disability(ies)?
  1. Make sure you have a conversation with your family, parents, and/or teachers about your disability diagnosis, and what you should understand about the unique ways it has shaped who you are and how you navigate barriers best.
  2. Discuss with those people how your disability has contributed to your unique strengths and discuss how you can leverage those strengths in college.
  3. Recognize the challenges and stigma you may have experienced. How do you plan to face those challenges in college? Find out what resources will be available for you on campus.
  4. Plan how you will communicate if you are experiencing challenges in college. What is your plan? Who will you communicate with about your challenges?
What is most important for me to know about utilizing my accommodations and ensuring I have full access to college?
  1. After you receive approval for disability-related accommodations, check for understanding of next steps and follow through with your part of the accommodation process. If approved, you will receive information about your accommodation eligibilities from Student Accessibility Services after your consultation including detailed instructions on how to send your faculty notification letters. You will also need to initiate requests in the AIM system relating to alternative textbook, peer notetaking, and test taking if you are eligible for those accommodations. Every semester, you will be responsible for sending faculty notifications about your accommodations through the AIM system.
  2. You will need to talk to your instructors about your accommodations. There is no need to disclose your disability, but only to speak with them about your specific needs related to the accommodations requested.
  3. Self-advocacy is proven not only to be required in many instances, but also to contribute to the academic success of students with disabilities. If you have not done this much in the past, we are here to support you as you learn these skills.

Learn How to Self-Advocate in College
Self-Advocacy Worksheet
Talking to my Professors
Rights and Responsibilities