Employee Vaccine Requirement FAQ

Juniata College requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for the 2022-2023 academic year.

What is required? 

  •  Employees need to provide documentation of full vaccination, which includes the receipt of a booster if eligible based on CDC guidance, and email a copy of their vaccination card to Human Resources at hr@juniata.edu. If this documentation is already submitted, no further action is required for the 2022-2023 academic year.
  • Those who would like to apply for a medical or religious exemption from the College’s COVID-19 vaccine requirement may do so by submitting their request to hr@juniata.edu. Medical exemptions must be verified by a currently licensed physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner. Religious exemptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  • COVID-19 Vaccine Request for Medical Accommodation
  • COVID -19 Vaccine Request for Religious Accommodation
  • Other exemptions from the vaccine requirement (beyond medical and religious) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If I was recently diagnosed with COVID, do I still need to get vaccinated?

Depending on when you were diagnosed, you may or may not be eligible to be vaccinated and should consult your doctor to determine when you should begin your vaccination series or receive your booster. If you have been recently diagnosed with Covid and are not eligible for the vaccine, the college will consider you exempted until the time that you become eligible.

You should remain away from the office for 5 days following a positive test for Covid-19 assuming you are fever free and you symptoms are becoming less severe. You should mask for 5 days upon return to the office.

A medical provider has recommended a delay in receiving a dose or booster due to testing positive for COVID. Do I need to file a medical accommodation form?

No. You can scan and send your vaccine card to hr@juniata.edu along with your reason for delay.

What should I do if I have misplaced my vaccine card?

Please contact the health care provider where you received the vaccination for a new record