October 8, 2020 (revised date)
May 5, 2008 (original date)
- A tree, with accompanying plaque, honoring or memorializing an individual or organization may be purchased for $1,000. Juniata College student organizations or clubs may purchase a tree at cost to Juniata and a plaque for the current price of a plaque, plus an additional $100 to cover the perpetual care of the tree.
- All memorial/honor tree purchases will be coordinated jointly by the Development Office (contact: Susan Sieber, 814-641-3112 or firstname.lastname@example.org) and the Grounds Department (contact: Jeff Andreas, 814-641-3392, email@example.com).
- Anyone interested in a memorial/honor tree can review the campus tree map and Memorial/Honor Tree policy (on the Juniata website), which will provide a listing of all trees by species and by location and/or information about potential sites to plant a tree, and the guidelines for how to do so.
- The donor may select an existing tree planted on campus (see map on Juniata website) or opt to have a tree planted in a defined area, with guidance from the Grounds Department per the campus master plan, that is consistent with other trees on campus. Native trees are preferred.
- The $1,000 gift includes the cost of the tree, perpetual care of the tree, and a bronze 9”x4” plaque installed near the designated tree. The plaque will be permanently installed on a pole and cemented on the bottom to increase durability and stability.
- Language for the plaque will be determined by the donor with guidance from the Development office, and will include the common and Latin names of the tree.
- All planting and perpetual care of the tree will be completed by the Grounds Department.
- All revenue and expenses, directly related to the gift, will be handled by the Development office. The cost of the plaque will be allocated to account #31-03428-6123, Campus Plantings. The cost of the tree will be allocated to account #31-03428-6331, Grass Seed/Plantings. The gift will be recorded, allocated, and acknowledged through the Development Office.
- Juniata will replace the memorial/honor tree if it needs to be removed due to a building project, damage, or disease.