Awards in Health Professions
Clarence R. Pentz Endowed Premedical Scholarship
This award was established by Dorothy S. Pentz in memory and honor of her husband Dr. Clarence R. Pentz ’26, a physician and naval officer who also served as Alumni Association president and a member of the President’s Development Council.
The award is made annually to a Juniata senior who, in the judgment of the Health Professions Committee, gives evidence of a humanitarian attitude, scholarly excellence, and character which will contribute to success in the practice of medicine.
- 1990 Brian Lieb
- 1991 John Witman
- 1992 Corey Smith
- 1993 Bradley Miller
- 1994 Steven McElroy
- 1995 Vanessa Shank
- 1996 Douglas Brenneman
- 1997 Nate McKeown
- 1998 Richard Shoemaker
- 1999 Daniel Gallo
- 2000 Sara Davis
- 2001 David Slat
- 2002 Amy Mullen
- 2003 Jessie Dick and Robin Koval
- 2004 Patrick Brown and Matthew Garner
- 2005 Michael Best and Maxwell Stem
- 2006 Tanner Barthelow and Matthew Chabot
- 2007 Brian Sykes and Leigh Ann Sassaman
- 2008 Joshua Beaver and Travis Hull
- 2009 Kristina Karkoska and Lindsay Norton
- 2010 Blair Saul
- 2011 Marie Boller and Brianne Rowan
- 2012 Clayton Cooper
- 2013 Emma Dahmus and Nicholas Deebel
- 2014 Brett Heber and Kayley Swope
- 2015 Morgan Decker and Benjamin Fowler
- 2016 John Bufalini
Dr. Frederick J. Fricker Honorary Scholarship
This award was established in 2008 by undergraduate premedical chemistry students, Brian Sykes (’08) and Joshua Beaver (’09) in honor of Dr. Frederick Fricker, Chief of the Pediatric Cardiology Center at the University of Florida College of Medicine- Shands Hospital, who has provided internship experiences for Juniata students.
The award is made annually to a rising senior Chemistry or Health Professions student who exemplifies scholarly excellence and dedication to medicine and humanity.
- 2008 Nathanial Eldredge
- 2009 Emily Brant
- 2010 Kevin Branch
- 2011 Shannon Harrington
- 2012 Nathan Bicher
- 2013 Alice Shanklin
- 2014 John Coda
- 2015 Benjamin Fowler
Lawrence Johnson Scholarship at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
This award was established in 2008 as part of a bequest by Dr. Lawrence Johnson ('61) to Juniata College. The scholarship covers 4 years of medical education for a Juniata student who will attend the University of Rochester, Dr. Johnson's alma mater.
The scholarship is open to current students and Juniata alumni applying during an eligible year and the recipient is chosen by the University of Rochester Admissions Committee.
- 2008 Nicholas Reiter
- 2014 Alice Shanklin
- 2019 Jonathan Philips
Hearst Foundation Award
This award is for first generation students with an interest in health professions and it is designed to off-set the cost of undergraduate tuition with the anticipation that they will attend professional school. The grant is awarded during four years of undergraduate study.
- 2016 Jennifer Carthew
- 2016 Brody Greenleaf
Vanderbilt Research Opportunity
Alumnus Dr. Steven McElroy ('95) Instructor of Pediatrics in the Division of Neonatology at Vanderbilt University has established a summer research position in his laboratory exclusively for Juniata students.
- 2007 Kory Dawn
- 2007 Kelly McLin
- 2008 Lindsay Draper
Iowa University Research Opportunity
Alumnus Dr. Steven McElroy ('95) is currently working at the University Children's Hospital as a neonatologist. He has established a summer research position in his laboratory exclusively for Juniata students.
- 2014 Loren Ball
- 2015 Loren Ball
- 2015 Hannah Hrobuchak
- 2016 Hrobuchak and Kelcie Sztroin
The Juniata College Health Professions Alumni Appreciation Award
This award was established in 2000 by the Health Professions Committee to recognize alumni/alumnae who have made a significant contribution to the professional and personal development of Juniata students aspiring to careers in the health professions.
- 2000 Gregory Stahl, Ph.D. ('84)- established a summer research program for Juniata students at Harvard
- 2001 Peter Hauer, B.S. ('86)- employed and mentored Juniata students in his Neuroscience Laboratory at Johns Hopkins
- 2003 Bradley Miller, D.O. ('94)- mentored aspiring physicians
- 2004 Perry Habecker, V.M.D. ('76)- mentored aspiring veterinary students
- 2006 Randy Kochel, M.D. ('79)- mentored aspiring physicians
- 2007 Steven McElroy, M.D. ('95)- established a summer research and shadowing program for Juniata students at Vanderbilt and currently (2015) at the University of Iowa
- 2008 Thomas Terndrup, M.D. ('77)- established a summer research and shadowing program for Juniata students at the Penn State University College of Medicine
- 2009 John Bulger, D.O. ('91)- established the Jan Plan winter break and summer internship programs for Juniata students at Geisinger Health Systems
- 2010 Terry Eccles, M.D. ('92)- established a summer pediatric internship for Juniata students at her practice in Stafford Springs, Connecticut
- 2011 William J. Olstein ('02) - mentored aspiring physicians
- 2012 Eric Bridenbaugh ('06) - mentored aspiring physician assistants
- 2014 George Zlupko, M.D. ('68) - for his service to our HOSA chapter and for establishing an internship for a Juniata student at his Lung Disease Center of Central Pennsylvania
- 2015 Jessie L. Mosley ('02) - for her service in establishing shadowing experiences for our current students.
- 2016 Douglas Spotts, M.D. ('89) - for his continued support of Juniata students and alums, providing mentoring and shadowing experiences and hosting the Upper Susquehanna Medical Professionals Networking Reception.
The Juniata College Health Professions Heroes Award
This award was established in 2005 by the Health Professions Committee to recognize students, alumni/alumnae, faculty, staff, health care practitioners, or others associated with the College and the Health Professions Program, who have made an outstanding contribution in terms of service and sacrifice related to health care and healing.
- 2005 Eliot Fagley, M.D. ('98) - received national recognition for his contribution to Hurricane Katrina relief in New Orleans
- 2006 Nicholas Bower, D.O. ('00)- founder of Physicians for Humanity
- 2011 Bradley Miller, D.O. ('94) - received the Health Professions Heroes Award for his work in spearheading the Lewistown model for heroin addiction treatment.
The Juniata College Health Professions Committee Outstanding Service Award
This award was established in 2003 by the Director of the Health Professions Program to recognize Committee members who make an outstanding contribution to health professions advising and/or the health professions program.
- 2003 Norman Siems, Ph.D. and Susan LaVere
- 2004 Duane Stroman, Ph.D.
- 2005 James Borgardt, Ph.D.
- 2006 Peter Goldstein, Ph.D.
- 2007 James Borgardt, Ph.D. and Michael Lehman, M.D., M.B.A.
- 2008 Susan Radis, M.S.S.
- 2009 Peter Baran, Ph.D. and David Hutto, Ph.D.
- 2010 Darwin Kysor, Ph.D.
- 2011 David Hutto, Ph.D.
- 2012 Sarah May Clarkson, B.A.
- 2013 Debra Kirchhof-Glazier, Ph.D.
- 2014 Kathleen Jones, Ph.D.
- 2015 James Borgardt, Ph.D.
- 2016 Darwin Kysor, Ph.D.