Our Services

Emotional Support Animals or ESA’s, are a type of treatment for people with mental health disabilities. They can help owners prevent or recover from symptoms related to their disability.

    1. If you believe you qualify and would benefit from an ESA, please contact your mental health professional to begin the conversation about whether this treatment is appropriate for you.
    2. Download the required ESA documentation and ask your Third party professional mental health provider to complete the form and return to you. Then upload the document using the button below.


Download ESA Form Submit completed ESA Paperwork Checklist for Requesting Emotional Support Animals & ESA Policy and Agreement.

Note that required documentation cannot be completed by Juniata College Counseling staff.

  1. Once the SAS Director receives your documentation and reviews it (they have up to 14 days to review) they will reach out to you to schedule a consultation.
  2. The consultation will include a review of the policies and ESA agreement, that must be signed if approved. If there is additional documentation required for approval consideration, the Director will explain what needs to be acquired.
  3. If approved, your roommate will be contacted by the Director via email for written approval, and the residential life staff will need to be contacted as well, so they can notify neighbors of proximity.
  4. Final approval notification will be sent, and ESA agreement will need to be signed and uploaded.
  5. Finally, Students with ESA accommodation must request a renewal of their ESA accommodation within the deadlines set for the following academic year housing room draw and selection process. This request process and form will be made public and available every spring to current students with housing and ESA accommodations..

Note: the ESA request process must begin 60 days prior to the start of the semester. Requests received within 60 days will be processed, but if documentation is not received 30 days before the start of the semester, you may need to wait another semester.