Emergency Pass/No Pass Policy for Spring Semester 2020
March 21, 2020: In response to the emergency circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic, a special Pass/No Pass (P/NP) policy for Spring Semester 2020 (20/SP) was approved by the Student Academic Development Committee (SAD) and endorsed by the Faculty Executive Committee and the Provost. This policy supersedes the standard policy and applies only to Spring Semester 2020.
The deadline for student decisions on P/NP has been extended until May 31, 2020, giving students the option to receive their final grades in their 20/SP courses
before making their decisions. (May 2020 graduates - See note below.)
NOTE FOR MAY 2020 GRADUATES: Your P/NP form must be submitted by April 30, 2020, in order for your grades to be finalized prior to the conferring of your degree. This will allow us to determine your eligibility for graduation and for Latin honors.
Since you won't have your final grades by April 30th, May 2020 graduates will complete a special section of the P/NP form that will inform us at what grade level you choose to exercise your P/NP option. (For example, you could opt to take the P/NP option only if your final grade in a course is below a B-.)
- There will be no cap on the number of courses permitted to be taken as P/NP during 20/SP.
- The P/NP courses for 20/SP will not count in the total number of P/NP courses allowed in an undergraduate degree nor would they count towards the total allowed in the student’s Program of Emphasis or in their general education courses.
- Students in certain academic programs (Education, Health Professions, etc.) should consult with their academic advisors before making their P/NP decisions. Some accrediting organizations may not accept P/NP grades.
- Students have the option to take any course as P/NP with the exception of those courses Department Chairs have restricted from P/NP. Many of the typical course restrictions have been lifted for this semester. Refer to the list below.
- After a P/NP grade is elected by a student, they are permitted to convert it back to a letter grade prior to their graduation from Juniata College. Students do NOT need to appeal to SAD in order to do so.
- Instructors will assign grades without knowing if a student has chosen P/NP.
- Students enrolled in study abroad coarses in 20/SP have until one week after they are notified that their grades are posted to their Juniata College transcripts to submit their P/NP form, even if that date is past May 31, 2020.
To elect the Pass-No Pass option for 20/SP, students should download the form found at the link below, fill it out and save it to their own computer drive, and then submit it as an attachment on an email to the Registrar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students who submitted P/NP Forms earlier in the semester: We would appreciate if you would list that course on your form as well as any additional courses that you would now like to take P/NP.
Courses NOT permitted to be taken Pass/No Pass during 20/SP:
CH 492 - Senior Writing Seminar
CH 493 - Senior Thesis
Students should consult with their academic advisors to determine if taking Education courses as P/NP would be appropriate for them.
PS 499 - Senior Seminar
Sociology and Social Work
Due to credentialing requirements, students with POEs in Social Work are not permitted to take certain courses in SO or SW as P/NP. For the 20/SP semester, this would apply to SW 230, ND.SS 215, and SO 101.