Emergency Pass/No Pass Policy during COVID-19 Pandemic
May 4, 2020: The Student Academic Development Committee (SAD) extended the emergency Pass/No Pass policy to continue for courses taken during Summer Term 2020. The deadline for students to exercise their option to take a 20/SU course P/NP is August 31, 2020.
March 21, 2020: In response to the emergency circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic, a special Pass/No Pass (P/NP) policy was approved by the Student Academic Development Committee (SAD) and endorsed by the Faculty Executive Committee and the Provost. This policy supersedes the standard policy and applies to Spring Semester 2020. The deadline for students (other than May 2020 graduates) to exercise their option to take a 20/SP course P/NP was May 31, 2020.
Special Provisions of the Emergency Policy:
- These extended deadlines allow students the opportunity to see their final grades in a course before making a decision on whether to take the P/NP grading option.
- Students enrolled in study abroad courses in 20/SP have until one week after they are notified that their grades are posted to their Juniata College transcripts to submit their P/NP form, even if that date is after May 31, 2020.
- Students who have an Incomplete in a course should submit the P/NP form by the appropriate deadline. Once the final grade for the course is submitted by the instructor, it will be converted to P/NP at that time. If the student ends up being satisfied with their grade and wants to revoke the P/NP decision, they may email email@example.com anytime before they graduate to make that change.
- There will be no cap on the number of courses permitted to be taken as P/NP during the emergency period.
- The P/NP courses during the emergency period will not count in the total number of P/NP courses allowed in an undergraduate degree nor would they count towards the total allowed in the student’s Program of Emphasis or in their general education courses.
- Students have the option to take any course as P/NP with the exception of those courses Department Chairs have restricted from P/NP. Many of the typical course restrictions have been lifted during the emergency period. Refer to the list below.
General Information about the Pass/No Pass Policy:
- Courses taken P/NP count towards fulfilling any Program of Emphasis (POE) or general education requirements, as long as the the student obtains a passing grade in the course.
- Students in certain academic programs (Education, Health Professions, Social Work) should consult with their academic advisors before making their P/NP decisions. Some accrediting organizations may not accept P/NP grades.
- Instructors will assign grades without knowing if a student has chosen P/NP.
- Any grade above an 'F' will be converted to a 'P' on the student's transcript and an 'F' grade will be converted to an 'NP.' These conversions will occur after grades are posted to a student's grade report so the student can see what their final grades are.
- P/NP grades are not used in calculating a student's term or cumulative GPA.
- After a P/NP grade is elected by a student, they are permitted to convert it back to a letter grade prior to their graduation from Juniata College. Students do not need to appeal to SAD in order to do so.
Instructions for Submitting the Form:
To elect the Pass-No Pass option during the emergency period, students should download the form linked below, fill it out and save it to their own computer, and then email it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, students may take a photo or screenshot of the completed form and send that in the email. (This second method is recommended when using Macs.)
Courses NOT permitted to be taken Pass/No Pass during 20/SP:
CH 492 - Senior Writing Seminar
CH 493 - Senior Thesis
Health Professions Students
5/10/20 -- Guidance for students in the Health Professions (HP) from the Health Professions Committee:
- Under no circumstances should you take a science (or other) class required by a medical program P/NP. If an applicant takes a required science class for a P/NP when you had the option for a letter grade, current indications are that it will negatively impact your application – some schools are even messaging that they will remove such applications from the pool on that basis.
- If you are taking science courses not required by medical schools, you may be able to take it P/NP, but we are recommending that you take the letter grade unless your science GPA is already lower than competitive benchmarks, and/or you will earn a grade of C+ or lower. This case is murkier, so you should consult with Dr. Borgardt, chair of the HP Committee, and/or your Health Professions advisor before exercising this option.
PS 499 - Senior Seminar
Sociology and Social Work
Due to credentialing requirements, students with POEs in Social Work are not permitted to take certain courses in SO or SW as P/NP. For the 20/SP semester, this would apply to SW 230, ND.SS 215, and SO 101.