• Veterans who want to transfer entitlements to a dependent should go to the Department of Defense (DOD) website to apply for transfer of entitlement after they get approval. Once that has happen, they can then go to the GI BILL website to apply for benefit use.
  • Students should contact the VA and get the paperwork (VA form 22-1990) started for program
  • Contact the Registrar once registration has been completed to complete the enrollment verification by certifying the enrollment.
  • Students must keep in touch throughout the semester and must notify the office of any changes in enrollment or credit earnings. This must be reported to the VA as soon as possible.

Standard Programs:

Chapter 30 (MGIB): Active Duty
Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation
Chapter 32 (VEAP): Veterans Educational Assistance Program
Chapter 1606: Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607: Reservists Called to Active Duty
Chapter 35: Dependent's Educational Assistance

New Chapter 33 (known as the post 9-11) coupled with the Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • Benefits starts August 1, 2009
  • Eligibility started September 11, 2001
  • Benefits paid directly to the institution
  • Tuition and fee payments equal to PA most expensive public (est. $750.00 per credit)
  • Monthly housing allowance
  • Books and supplies stipend to the student up to $1,000
  • Entitlement is 45 months of full time, can be as much as 48 months if combining programs
  • Good for up to 15 years since active duty
  • Good for 10 years for spouses
  • Good for 8 years for children

Yellow Ribbon Program:

  • Institutions waive up to 50 percent of the cost over the maximum for attendance
  • Student should apply for all financial aid to pay the balance
  • Service members must have the ability to transfer the GI Bill benefits to family members

To learn more, please visit websites:

  • OR call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)