Transfer credit is granted only for academically-valid courses in which the student earns a grade of C- or higher. Passing or Satisfactory grades are accepted only if it can be confirmed via the official transcript key or institution's website that the minimum required grade to earn a P (Pass) or Satisfactory (S) is the grade of a C- or higher. Credit is normally only awarded for courses taken at a similarly accredited institution. Students who take courses at schools without a similar regional accreditation must provide syllabi for all courses for individual evaluation by the Registrar's Office and academic department.

Transfer credit is granted either as a direct equivalent to a Juniata College course or as generic credit.

Students who enter Juniata with transfer credits may transfer in additional credits according to the following table:

Transfer credits awarded upon entry

Add'l transfer credits allowed after entry

Transfer credits after entry allowed in POE

0 to 23.99 15 8
24 to 53.99 9 4
54 to 86.99 6 0
87 or more 0 0

Exceptions may be made for students participating in cooperative programs, study abroad programs, and other Juniata-approved programs.

To transfer in credits for courses taken at another college or university after you have enrolled at Juniata as a full-time student:

Start by checking our transfer course databases below. These will show courses already approved by the academic departments and catalogued by the Registrar's Office. 

If the course you are interested in taking does not appear on these lists, it means that nobody has tried to transfer those credits to Juniata previously. In that case, you need to complete a Request for Clearance of Transfer Credit form. On this form, the appropriate academic department chair will note the comparable Juniata course, and the student's advisors will indicate approval. For courses not deemed comparable with a Juniata offering, decisions will be made by the Registrar in consultation with the appropriate academic department. It is the student's responsibility to obtain information about the course and present this information to advisors and the department chair. This form needs to be completed and approved in advance of taking the course(s) at the other institution.

After completing the course(s) at the other institution, the student is then responsible for requesting to have an official copy of their transcript sent by that institution to the Juniata College Registrar's Office. In order for approved transfer credit to be awarded, students must submit an official transcript that clearly indicates all of the following information for each course:

  • Course codes or numbers
  • Course titles or descriptions
  • Final grades earned
  • Course credits earned

Once the transcript is received, the transfer credit will be evaluated and the student will be notified of the if/when it is posted to their Juniata transcript.

International Students:

There two ways in which international transfer credit can be processed:

  1. If courses are being transferred from a partner university, the original academic records should be submitted to the Dean of International Education for evaluation.
  2. If the courses are being transferred from a university which has not been previously recognized by Juniata, the student must obtain an official transcript and purchase a third-party, course-by-course international transcript translation and evaluation. Students are required to use one of the following National Association of Credential Evaluation (NACE) services below:

For more information regarding the credit transfer process, contact the Registrar's Office at 814 641-3165 or