The designated POE in French, German, Russian, or Spanish consists of:
- 33 credit hours in the target language beyond the 210 level
- At least 18 credit hours at the 300 or 400 level
- A minimum of one semester of study in a country or region where the target language is the primary language of instruction. A full academic year of study abroad is preferable, and highly recommended. Courses taken abroad may be included in the POE with department approval.
- Demonstrate intermediate high oral proficiency in the target language
- At least one 300-level course must be taken after returning from study abroad
The Department of World Languages offers K-12 Certification in cooperation with the Education Department in French, German, and Spanish
Students planning to pursue a teaching career with certification must complete the designated POE and meet the following requirements:
- Complete one academic year of study abroad in a country or region where the target language is spoken. Courses taken abroad may be included in the POE with departmental approval.
- Demonstrate advanced oral proficiency in the target language
- Achieve a grade of C or higher in all courses required for teaching certification
- Receive a satisfactory grade in all practica
- Receive passing scores on all required PRAXIS exams
Secondary Program of Emphasis in Chinese, French, Linguistics, Russian, or Spanish:
- 15 credit hours beyond the 210 level in consultation with an advisor who teaches the target language
- Study abroad in a country or region where the target language is the primary language of instruction is recommended