April 2019 Changes to TIAA Retirement:
Effective April 18, 2019, changes to your TIAA retirement plan include:
- New investment options. The new investments, carefully selected by Juniata College (and Cornerstone Consulting), for its employees, may give you the ability to create a diversified retirement portfolio.
- New retirement contracts will be issued. TIAA will issue new Retirement Choice (RC) contracts to facilitate using the updated investment menu. Any balance in existing TIAA and CREF annuity contracts will remain there, unless you request a change by contacting TIAA.
- Increased transparency on fees. A new fee structure will make it easier to see the cost of each investment option, as well as fees paid for plan administration.
- New retirement plan loan policy. Beginning in April, Juniata College will reduce the number of allowable plan loans to two. If an employee defaults on a loan, an additional loan may not be taken.
A recording of informational sessions is available here.
Slides from the campus informational sessions are available here.
To view your documents:
- Log in to your account any time from the TIAA.org home page.
- From your Account Home screen, click on "View Statements & Reports" on the right-hand side of the page or click on “eStatements & Reports” to access your eDelivery package. Your documents will be listed in the "View Most Recent Documents" section and also in the "Public Disclosures and General Information" category section on the page.
The retirement program available to regular, full-time employees is administered by the Director of Human Resources. While the following summaries briefly describe the various programs, their actual terms - including all special conditions and limitations - are stated in the summary plan descriptions.
Appointments for individual counseling sessions on TIAA plans available through Juniata College can be made by contacting the State College Office.
Retirement Plan Summary
The College provides a retirement plan through the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association (TIAA). Eligible employees may participate in the TIAA plan and must enroll after one year of service at Juniata College. Individuals having a current TIAA contract are eligible to begin participation immediately. The College contributes 10% and the individual contributes 2% of his/her salary, which is deducted from the monthly pay. The 2% employee contribution may be made on a tax-deferred basis.
It is possible for eligible employees to contribute retirement funds over and above amounts being accumulated under the mandatory retirement plan. The total amount contributed to the Retirement Plan must not exceed the limitations set by the Internal Revenue Code. The Assistant Director of Human Resources will provide individualized information about these limitations upon request. Under certain conditions, a partial withdrawal of the accumulated value of the supplemental contributions, less administrative charges, can be made prior to retirement.
Any participant leaving the College is fully vested in his/her policy, and may continue contributions thereafter on a personal basis. Each individual participating in TIAA has a variety of investment options to choose from and may change their investment allocation at any time.
- 2023 TIAA Salary Reduction Form
- 2022 TIAA Salary Reduction Form
- Summary Plan Description - Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
- Adoption Agreement
- WRERA Amendment
- HEART Amendment
- Summary of Material Modification June 2020
- Plan Amendment June 2020
- Plan Amendment Hardship Distribution Provision
- Plan Amendment Determination of Service for Vesting 2021
- Plan Amendment Vesting - Nonelective Contributions 2021
- Plan Amendment Excluded Employees 2021