Did You Know?
- Each year across America, college and university students experience a growing number of fire-related emergencies.
- Having a working smoke alarm more than doubles the chances of surviving a fire.
- Cooking and arson are the leading causes of university and college fires.
Housing Safety Tips
- Make sure you know how to properly contact emergency services using 911.
- Make sure every room has a smoke alarm, and that they are properly working. Check the batteries once a month.
- Regularly inspect rooms for fire hazards.
- Inspect exit doors and windows to make sure they are working correctly.
- Create an escape route plan, with two different routes of escape. Practice using these routes once a month.
- Make sure electrical outlets are not overloaded and make sure extension cords are used properly.
- Safely maintain heating and cooking appliances.
By following these simple life-saving tips, you can ensure your safety and the safety of others during fire emergencies!