Locking System Questions and Answers

How does the system work?

Juniata has selected BEST access system B.A.S.I.S lock. The system is structured to work with your student I.D. card as the method to unlock the door and gain access. The lock system is a computer system that allows for tracking card history of card usage for entry.  

How will I gain access to my residence hall?

Your ID card will be needed to gain entrance through doors that have the B.A.S.I.S lock installed. You will simply swipe your student ID card through the lock at a moderate speed. A green light flashes and the door unlocks. Turn the lever and open the door. The system then locks the door behind you.  

Should I carry my ID card at all times?

Yes.  Your ID card will be needed to gain access into the residence halls. Your card is also needed to use Parkhurst facilities.

Will I be able to enter my student id number on the key pad to gain access?

No.  Exterior doors with the B.A.S.I.S lock will only allow entry with ID card swipes.  

Will I have full access to all residence halls?

Yes.  Your ID will allow you entry to all residence hall entrance doors equipped with the B.A.S.I.S lock system.  

Will any residence hall have restrictions, such as “residents only” access after certain hours?

No. All Residential Halls can be accessed with a student ID at any time.

Will the buildings be locked at all times?

Yes, the lock system is a 24/7 system. The residence halls will be locked at all times and students will need their ID cards to gain entry.  

I have permission to live off campus. Will I have access to all residence halls?

Yes.   ID cards of all matriculated, degree-seeking students will provide entry to residence halls.  

Will my parents, family and guests have access to the residence halls or will they be issued a card for entry purposes?

We will not issue visitor cards for entry into residence halls.  Visitors are permitted in the halls, but students with ID cards will need to provide entry.   In accordance with the visitation policy, visitors should be escorted at all times while in residence halls.  Students are not permitted to loan ID cards or allow others (non-guests) into a residence hall.  

What do I do if I get locked out of my residence hall?

If you forgot your ID card, we advise you to attempt to contact your roommate and/or a friend in your building and ask them to provide you entry.  You are expected to carry your ID with you.  Being locked out of residence halls should be a rare occurrence.  As a last resort, if a roommate is unavailable, contact your RA or RLC.  As the very last option, contact Public Safety.  RAs, RLCs and Public Safety will record all requests for entry.  If providing access for a particular student becomes a recurring situation, disciplinary action will be taken.  

Can I use my present Gold Card (ID) for the lock system?

Yes.  Your present card has been programmed to work the lock system.  

My gold card currently does not work or is damaged. What should I do?

If you attempt to use your gold card and it does not work at a B.A.S.I.S lock entrance door, we ask that you try another entrance door. The situation could be that one lock is not working, but your card may work at another.  If this is the case, notify your RA or RLC and they will follow up with the Office of Residential Life. If you slide your card through and the door doesn’t unlock, please take note of the following:

  • No lights, 3 short tones: try your card again at a slower speed.
  • Red light flashes, 3 short tones: Make sure that you used the correct card. Your card may be invalid or the lock may be in a timed locked mode.
  • Single red flash: Confirm you are swiping your card correctly and try again.
  • Green light, red light flashes, 3 short tones: Notify your RA or RLC, there may be a problem with the lock.

If you have exhausted all possible alternatives for your card, contact the Public Safety Office during regular business hours to have your card replaced.

What is the card replacement policy?

ID cards can only be replaced through the Public Safety Office (basement of Ellis Hall).  If the ID card is malfunctioning, but otherwise in good condition, there is no cost for replacement.  If the ID card is damaged, there is a cost associated with replacement.

What is the procedure if I lose my card?

Lost ID cards should be IMMEDIATELY reported to Public Safety where a ID will be issued.  Public Safety Office hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Saturday 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., Sunday evening 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. There is a cost associated with card replacement.  

Will I be able to gain entry at all doors of the residence halls?

Your card will open any entrance door equipped with the B.A.S.I.S lock system. Doors that do not have the lock system installed are exit doors only.  

What is my responsibility for keeping my residence hall secure?

Students should help to ensure the lock system is not compromised, tampered with or circumvented in any way.

  • Never prop open exterior doors in residence halls, houses or apartments.
  • Do not open exterior entrance doors for anyone you do not know.
  • Do not allow strangers to follow you into a building after you enter.
  • Alert Public Safety about suspicious acting people or activities.

Will disciplinary sanctions be imposed for violations of lock policies?

Yes.  Disciplinary sanctions will be imposed for anyone violating policy related to the lock system. Depending upon the circumstances, more than one sanction may be imposed.  Violating locking policies constitutes a violation of the Student Code of Conduct – endangering the health and/or safety of any individual (see Pathfinder). 

Will delivery persons (such as Domino’s, All-American, and OIP) have access to the residence halls?

No.  When ordering from a business that delivers, students are required to inform the delivery service that they will meet them at a specific exterior door to take the delivery.  Delivery persons will no longer be able to gain access to the residence halls to deliver directly to student rooms.  

Will college staff have access to residence halls?

Yes.  Access is limited to specific services and support staff.

I live in a college-owned apartment building or house. Will my building be getting a new locking system?

Not at this time.  Your college-owned off-campus building will continue to utilize a key system to secure all exterior entrances. All rules and polices that apply to the new lock system remain in effect for the key lock system.  

I live in a college-owned apartment building or house. Will I also have full access to the residence halls?

Yes.  Your ID card will allow you access to the residence halls on campus.  

Will I still need my room key?

Yes.  Nothing has changed regarding interior individual rooms and how they are secured.  

Will I still be expected to lock my room door?

Yes.  We do not want students to have a false sense of security because the exterior doors are secured.  The door to your room should always be locked, whether you are out and about or inside your room sleeping.