Transfer credit is granted only for academically-valid courses in which the student earns a grade of C- or higher. Transfer credit is granted in the form of a comparable course, distribution credit, or elective credit. Credit is normally only awarded for courses taken at a similarly accredited institution.  Students who take courses at schools without a similar regional accreditation must provide syllabi for all courses for individual evaluation by the Registrar's office and departmental review. If the course is too focused or outside our curriculum delivery, no credit will be granted. 

Students who enter Juniata with transfer credits may transfer in additional credits according to the following table:

Transfer credits awarded upon entry Add'l transfer credits allowed after entry Transfer credits after entry allowed in POE
0 to 23.99 15 8
24 to 53.99 9 4
54 to 86.99 6 0
87 or more 0 0

Exceptions may be made for students participating in cooperative programs, study abroad programs, and other Juniata-approved programs.

To transfer in credits for courses taken at another college or university after you have enrolled at Juniata as a full-time student:

Start by checking our transfer course databases below. These will show courses already approved by the academic departments and catalogued by the Registrar's Office. 

If the course you are interested in taking does not appear on these lists, it means that nobody has tried to transfer those credits to Juniata previously. In that case, you need to complete a Request for Clearance of Transfer Credit form. On this form, the appropriate academic department chair will note the comparable Juniata course, and the student's advisors will indicate approval. For courses not deemed comparable with a Juniata offering, decisions will be made by the Registrar with advice from the appropriate department and the Student Academic Development Committee as appropriate. It is the student's responsibility to obtain information about the course and present this information to advisors and the department chair. This form needs to be completed and approved in advance of taking the course(s) at the other institution.

After completing the course(s) at the other institution, the student is then responsible for requesting to have an official copy of their transcript sent by that institution to the Juniata College Registrar's Office. Once the transcript is received, the transfer credit will be evaluated and the student will be notified if/when it is posted to their Juniata transcript.

International Students: Have you completed university classes? There two ways in which international credit transfer can be processed:

  1. If courses are being transferred from a partner university, the original academic records should be submitted to the Dean of the Center for International Education for evaluation.
  2. If the courses are being transferred from a university which has not been previously 'recognized' by Juniata, the student should contact recommended credential evaluation companies. Please follow the instructions on their website :

In either case, students who wish to transfer credits should initiate the process prior to arrival so that the information can be readily available as they choose their courses for the first two semesters.

For more information regarding the transfer clearance process, contact the Registrar's Office at 814 641-3165 or