Maintain accounting records for funds, programs involving multiple transactions; compile, verify and reconcile financial data; prepare statistical and financial reports; research and resolve errors and discrepancies; read and interpret computer generated reports.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise and direct the collection and recording of all incoming funds.
- Provide supervision, instruction, guidelines and procedure for cashiers who receive and record revenue and payments on accounts.
- Provide guidance, investigate errors and assist in resolving and/or resolves problems in daily reconciliation.
- Assess tuition and fees to coordinate bill preparation with the Registrar, Financial Aid, Residential Life, and International Offices.
- Collaborate with colleagues across multiple departments and programs to develop effective policies and operational guidelines to meet the needs of students and program requirements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of all activities associated with student receivables, including billing, collections, account reconciliation and the preparation of 1098T forms.
- Collect third party payments and correctly identify code and bill authorized personnel for the approved amounts.
- Keep up to date on changes to State and Federal regulations regarding student accounts, student refunds, student financial responsibility, 1098T processing, and cash/credit handling.
- Ensure the processing of disbursements and refunds are in accordance with federal and state regulations and institutional policies and procedures.
- Ensure timely response to all messages related to student bills and student financial services.
- Maintain accounts for student-related income, deposit receivables, and student loan funds.
- Develop daily and monthly reconciliation procedures and programs.
- Prepare year-end closing and reversing entries for deferral of student fees, room and board, deposit accounts, summer programs, allowance for uncollectible accounts and other student accounts.
- Determine dates for fee payment deadlines, financial aid disbursement refunds, direct deposit, tuition calculations and registration billing.
- Processes all of the senior class gifts and works closely with the Development Office.
- Processes all of the leave of absences, withdraws, and transfer students.
- Educates incoming freshmen and parents on student billing during Orientation.
- Works with many third party vendors, such as payment plans, loan servicers, and collection agencies.
- Prepares invoices and quarterly reports for all of our grants, along with all of the year end journal entries.
This position reports to the Controller.
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills and the ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations.
- Demonstrative consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups in higher education.
- Demonstrates strong supervisory, management, and leadership skills directing staff.
- Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction.
- Extensive experience in managing administrative operations and systems analysis.
- Ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and discern applicable underlying principles and policies to conceive of and develop strategic solutions.