The role of Dean of Admission is a senior level position within the Enrollment Division, and provides leadership at both the tactical and strategic levels within the Enrollment structure. At the heart of this position is the role of an admission counselor, and as such the Dean communicates with prospective students and their parents and other interested individuals and groups to explain admission policies and procedures and to answer questions regarding academic programs and campus life. Develops seasonal and long-term goals and applies university admission standards, policies, and regulations to the credentials of prospective students at all application levels to determine their admissibility.
The Dean of Admission supervises the Office of Admission’s counseling staff to assure that goals are effectively determined and executed. The Dean oversees the day-to-day operations of the Office of Admission in its annual effort to recruit an undergraduate entering class that meets the expectations and high academic standards of Juniata College. The Dean functions in an advisory capacity to the Vice-president for Enrollment on matters relevant to admission and financial aid policy, as well as provides general consul to the Vice-president on matters relating to staffing, budget, and office needs.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the Office of Admission counseling staff.
- Maintain, evaluate, and improve the day-to-day operations of the Office of Admission in its efforts to provide the college with a viable and academically talented pool of applicants.
- Provide senior leadership in the Office of Admission to assure that the office is meeting the objectives and specifications for an undergraduate class as defined by Juniata College.
- Functions as an advisor to the Vice-president for Enrollment on admission and institutional policy, but is primarily responsible for the execution of such policy.
- Insures that the Office of Admission places as its priority Juniata College and uses the university’s guiding principles, the mission, to lead the admission staff.
Receives general direction and guidance. Expected to operate independently within established regulations and guidelines. Must work collaboratively and supportively with other individuals and groups. Reports to the Vice President for Enrollment and works independently with discretion and judgment as to how best to achieve college goals. Hires, trains, and supervises student employees, providing specific direction and oversight of assignments. Provides oversight of the supervision given by others when delegated.
- Bachelor’s degree and five or more years of work in higher education admission or enrollment management with supervisory experience.
- This position requires strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with program building and management, supervisory and public relations experience.
- Effective public speaking and written communication skills.
- A commitment to liberal arts education and cultural diversity.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license also required.
- Must be flexible, handle a demanding work schedule, and be able to work independently within a team management structure, possess strong organizational skills, have a sense of humor, and work effectively with a diverse constituency.