Developing and implementing a comprehensive, student-centered program of campus activities and leadership development in Juniata College’s welcoming and engaged community.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise and support student groups and organizations in their efforts to develop and implement a comprehensive schedule of campus activities programming.
- Coordinate campus activities logistics in collaboration with other college offices, including facilities services, dining services, conferences and events, public safety, and performing arts.
- Execute performance contracts.
- Serve as a primary advisor to Student Government and a secondary advisor to Juniata Activities Board.
- Supervise the student organization spaces in Ellis Hall and other buildings on campus.
- Provide training and support for student organization advisors.
- Work collaboratively with and serve as a resource for other departments within the Student Life division and across campus.
- Design and implement a comprehensive program of student leadership development, providing opportunities for students of varying abilities and experiences.
- Cultivate and nurture emerging student leaders.
- Provide necessary training and development opportunities for students to be successful club and organization leaders, in areas such as goal-setting, program planning, financial management, and marketing.
- Effectively engage students, faculty, and staff of diverse backgrounds to maximize the student co-curricular experience.
- Be an approachable, responsive, and supportive resource for students, colleagues, and the local community.
- Be creative and responsive to student interests with co-curricular initiatives.
- Prepare students to successfully navigate institutional expectations and procedures.
- Encourage students in communicating effectively with College administration, faculty, and staff.
- Assist students with constructively resolving conflicts.
- Regularly attend and actively participate in campus events.
Staff Selection, Development, and Supervision
- Recruit and retain a well-qualified diverse staff, which includes both full-time professionals and part-time student assistants.
- Supervise, mentor, and develop professional and student staff.
- Provide feedback to and conduct regular performance evaluations for staff.
Administration and Management
- Provide vision and leadership that advances the College’s mission and strategic plans.
- Develop systematic assessment programs that seek to monitor trends and guide efforts to continually improve the co-curricular experience for Juniata students.
- Build, manage, and maintain budgets. Provide oversight of student organization budgets.
- Supervise the Ellis Hall Information Desk operation.
- Cultivate an effective working relationship with all campus constituents, including students, faculty, and staff, alumni, Board of Trustees, and community/regional partners.
- Have a working knowledge of relevant legislation and regulations.
- Serve on the Student Life management team.
- Participate in the after-hours/emergency response rotation with other Student Life staff as needed.
This position reports to the Associate Dean of Students.
- Master’s degree in higher education administration, college student personnel, or a related field.
- Minimum of three years of progressive managerial experience in a higher education setting strongly desired, preferably in campus activities, leadership development, or related area.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule; regular evening and weekend work is required in this position.
- Availability to respond to campus emergency/crisis situations in person in a timely manner as required by the on-call duty rotation.
- Exceptional commitment to student development and engagement; student-centered.
- Exceptional commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Innovative and visionary leadership in the face of change.
- Strong mentoring, supervisory, and managerial skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Collaborative style.
- Detail-oriented organizational skills.
- Motivation and energy.
- Creative problem-solving ability.