The Director of Conferences and Events will be the manager for all conferences and special events held at Juniata College. The position is responsible for promotion of campus facilities and coordination of all College and non-College events.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops, markets and operates an aggressive conference and summer camp schedule including academic and athletic college-owned camps, and invites revenue generating organizations with missions aligned with Juniata College to campus.
- Coordinates communication between event planners (both on and off campus) and campus services, including Campus Police, Facilities, Catering, and others.
- Works closely with faculty, students, and campus departments to execute successful programs, events, and functions on behalf of the College.
- Provides strong support of budgetary control by recommending tactics to reduce or control costs. Recommends strategic investments needed to enhance program outcomes.
- Prepares event and conference contracts, maintains communication with event and conference directors before, during and after event, and follows up with billing, including Datatel entry. Maintains absolute confidentiality of specified materials.
- Investigates opportunities in continuing education for the purpose of developing a life long learning relationship with Juniata alumni and other appropriate constituencies. Provide programs that appeal to the target markets.
- Creates marketing tools to recruit guests to campus for use as a conference center, meeting place, or to use a unique venue, such as Patrick Lodge.
- Provides oversight and assists with maintaining a centralized scheduling system, using Event Scheduler software, as well as inquiries from faculty, staff and administration regarding processes by which to plan and execute activities. This may include but is not limited to room set ups, catering requests, audio visual needs, etc.
- Provides oversight and assists with electronic database records, including budgets, registrations, housing assignments and telephone directory, and others.
- Oversees conference office staff and trains summer assistants and leaders.
- Coordinates and actively participates in hospitality of on campus visitors and prospective visitors.
- Provides assistance for the artist and cultural event series and performs related duties as assigned.
Works independently within a broad strategic framework and institutional priorities. Must work cooperatively and collaboratively with numerous and diverse individuals and groups. The Director of Conferences and Events supervises the Conferences and Events Assistant and reports to the Associate Vice President for Advancement.
- A Bachelor's degree and experience in conference coordination, marketing and promotion, and program development, preferably in an academic setting is required.
- The ideal candidate will have the ability to function independently, but capable of coordinating and facilitating collaborative interaction; outstanding interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communication and computer literacy skills.
- Experience with budget management required.
- Preference will also be given to candidates with high energy, enthusiasm and creativity to support current programs and to promote innovations. Some evening and weekend work required.