Enhance the image of the college through researching and preparing news stories, press releases, and interest articles, and responding to media inquiries.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, prepare and submit articles, news stories and press releases to media sources for publication. Interview appropriate sources to gather needed background and information.
- Develop relationships with external media sources to promote and assist with coverage of newsworthy stories at the college. Read numerous media to identify trends and styles.
- Contribute to design, editing, and writing of department publications including brochures, flyers, and newsletters.
- Assist with developing and planning of promotional programs to promote college activities and events through a variety of media.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Receives general direction and guidance. Receives specific writing and publicity assignments from interested parties. Must work collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups. Supervises student assistants.
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor's Degree in journalism or media relations or a related academic program or an equivalent combination of education and writing experience.
- Three years of professional writing/media relations experience sufficient to demonstrate competencies with: creative writing, news media coverage, interviewing and researching and PC software applications.