This position serves the following distinctive, yet related, primary roles: To lead, resource, and support instructional technology and to direct strategy and operations of undergraduate online learning at Juniata. The responsibilities of the Director are to champion and support advancements in instructional pedagogies which make the acquisition of knowledge and skill more efficient, effective, and appealing, specifically as they relate to instructional technology and the development of digital literacy for all Juniata faculty and students. The Director will collaborate with faculty in exploring and developing familiarity with learning strategies that appropriately and successfully leverage technology solutions to enhance student success in and out of the classroom. The Director will also lead the Core Leadership Team for Online learning, providing leadership in developing and implementing Juniata’s online learning strategy while aligning to the vision and mission of Juniata College. The Director will be the first point of contact for undergraduate online strategy, new online offerings, course quality, policies and laws, marketing, outreach and the appropriate provisions of student services. The Director will also serve a primary role on the operations and strategy committee for the development and support of graduate programs.
- Provide leadership and innovation for enhancing teaching and learning through the identification, evaluation, adoption, and integration of effective educational strategies.
- Combine learning theory, design practices, and technologies to assist in the creation of effective teaching and learning spaces, both physical and virtual, for the college.
- Work collaboratively with other academic affairs professionals to create a cohesive approach to student engagement and faculty development and support.
- Provide expertise in the development of instructional pedagogies for the diverse needs of our students through one-on-one sessions and faculty development workshops.
- Mentor and supervise student employees and teams: Instructional Technologist, Video Production Team, and Project Specialist Team.
- Meet with faculty to develop innovative forms of assessment and provide in-class instruction to students on the usage of specific technologies required to complete these projects.
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies and their ability to meet teaching and learning needs (through the trial of new software, attending conferences, etc.).
- Develop college-wide plans for the implementation of online learning by establishing long range policies, goals, objectives and standards ensuring the alignment of online learning programs with the college’s mission and strategic initiatives.
- Be knowledgeable of policies, issues, and laws affecting Online Learning.
- Work proactively with the Provost’s Office and Academic Affairs (Department Chairs, Director of Institutional Planning & Research, and Registrar) to manage, market, and strategize and report on online learning.
- In cooperation with college staff, establish and maintain the quality of all online courses through implementing a system for quality assurance.
- Serve on the operations and strategy committee for the development and support of graduate programs.
- Work collaboratively with the Technology Leadership Team to ensure alignment of resources and priorities.
- Maintain a focus on student success, high quality, and clear business processes, as well as planning, scheduling, budgeting, and operational efficiency.
- Work with the Director of the Technology Solutions to provide input and feedback on campus wide technology training plans.
- Maintain effective communication with administration, faculty, and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position is supervised by the Assistant Vice President and Chief Information Officer under general guidelines and direction and must be able to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others.
- The Director will be a member of the technology leadership team to guide the technology decisions of the campus and department overall and will routinely collaborate with the Dean of the Library and instructional librarians to ensure a cohesive approach to faculty support and professional development and student engagement.
- The Director will also provide mentorship to and management of student teams that support our overall instructional technology and online learning needs.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in instructional design, education, teaching, or a related field with at least 7 years’ experience in instructional technology, online education, or curriculum design, both face-to-face and online, or a Master’s Degree in instructional design, education, teaching, or a related field with 5 years’ experience in instructional technology, online education, or curriculum design, both face to face and online, is required.
- Familiar with processes and standards for planning and implementing instructional design and development.
- Ability to organize and work effectively with an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Experience with graphic and multimedia authoring software and website design software.
- Have solid knowledge of course development software and at a minimum one learning management system, such as Moodle, Canvas, or Blackboard.
- Very strong interpersonal communication skills. Ability to lead, mentor, coach, collaborate, and communicate technical information to a non-technical audience in both oral and written forms.
- Must also demonstrate experience working in a team-oriented environment.
- Experience with both PC’s and Mac’s a plus as well as a wide variety of software applications.
The position is primarily sedentary in a climate controlled office with little exposure to environmental hazards; however, due to the campus environment there will be the opportunity to go from building to building for meetings and to provide support to faculty and students. The position may require lifting/pushing/carrying objects up to 10 pounds.
Must have a strong sense of responsibility and integrity due to the level of system access required for this position.
Must agree to and pass a background check.