Directs and coordinates overall operation of the Public Safety department and works with faculty, staff, students and others (external agencies) to provide a safe and secure learning environment.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Enforces college policies and procedures pertaining to public safety.
- Develops, recommends, and administers security policies and procedures to ensure safety and protect property of the College.
- Plans and coordinates crime prevention and awareness programs for the campus community. Works closely with Health & Wellness Center staff and Residential Staff to promote Sexual Violence Awareness Education Programs, Drug & Alcohol Awareness and Prevention, and to address issues related to emotional and psychological safety.
- Conducts follow-up investigations of incidents/daily reports and works with Residential Staff to resolve conflicts and prevent recurrence.
- Coordinates campus safety and security activities and serves as liaison to all law enforcement agencies, Fire, EMS, and 911 emergency dispatch center.
- Develops collaborative, supportive relationships with victim advocacy services in order to respond directly and immediately to the needs of victims of crimes.
- Monitors college compliance with applicable Federal, State and local laws.
- Maintains compliance with Pennsylvania Act 501 status (Police Authority).
- Recruits, selects and oversees training of Public Safety personnel.
- Prepares work schedules for staffing a twenty-four-hour/seven day per week operation.>
- Collects and reports crime statistics/records.
- Oversees college emergency communications system and provides leadership and support to campus-wide emergency operations plan.
- Works with others to assess diversity and adaptability of public safety/security services.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Receives general direction and guidance. Must work collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups. Supervises public safety/security personnel.
- Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through a master’s degree in management, educational administration, counseling, and/or a related filed.
- Minimum of five years experience in a supervisory management position and working with students, preferably in higher education.
- A valid driver's license and completion of a background investigation report.