The Field Hockey Coach, SWA has responsibility for the overall development and maintenance of the Juniata College Field Hockey, and Swimming/Aquatics programs. They have oversight responsibilities in other areas within the department of athletics. These responsibilities include structural and administrative organization of programs.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
Field Hockey Program
- Develop, recommend and implement specific training/conditioning programs and skill develop programs.
- Plan, organize, implement and follow-up on an extensive ongoing recruiting effort through written, verbal and personal contact with student-athletes and their families.
- Strategically schedule non-conference games and tournaments to advance the Field Hockey program and maximize use of financial resources while maintaining an awareness of time demands on student-athletes.
- Prepare student-athletes for competition through thorough analysis and breakdown of scheduled conference and non conference opponents.
- Recommend and enforce discipline of student-athletes for infractions of rules, regulations and misconduct.
- Cultivate alumni and other constituencies to further goals of Field Hockey program, department of athletics and Juniata College.
- Hire and train assistant coaches.
- Effectively manage the financial and human resources allotted to the program. This includes selection, hiring and training of student assistants and some game management personnel.
- Ensure proper safety precautions are followed at all times.
- Ensure adherence to rules, regulations and policies of all governing bodies. (Juniata College, ECAC, Landmark Conference and National Collegiate Athletic Association.)
- Administrative responsibility for coaches.
- Game management of contests and events.
- All program administrative oversight.
- Cover for Head Coach in her absence.
Department of Athletics
- Oversight Administration of Binder Natatorium, lifeguards, and aquatics programming.
- Game Management for Softball.
- Head Search Committees on request.
- Assist in securing and controlling the KSRC and other Athletics Facilities.
- Participate in the overall administration of the Athletics Department by representing the office as requested and cooperatively assisting colleagues. This includes attending enrollment functions, serving as event management staff in championship events, assisting in hiring process, fundraising, promotions etc.
- As SWA being a leader in all aspects of advancing Women’s athletics including but not limited to oversight with women’s NCAA programs, strategic planning with regard to Issue #5 (Title IX and Diversity), attending conference meetings in a leadership position, active engagement and assistance with SAAC and mentoring of women’s teams/coaches/athletes.
- Member of Athletics Administration Cabinet.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the Director of Athletics.
This position reports to the Director of Athletics and directly supervises assistant coaches, student support personnel, head swimming coach/Aquatics Director, and student-athletes.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- A record of successful coaching experience.