Leads the library in providing reference services to faculty, staff, students and patrons.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists students and faculty by providing reference and research direction at the reference desk, by phone, and by e-mail. Reference desk hours, including weekends and evenings as assigned.
- Plans and presents instructional workshops and classroom presentations on library use and reference resources including online and internet searching, bibliographic instruction, and other reference services.
- Oversees reference area and daily function of reference desk.
- Recommends print and electronic resources to be added to the library’s collection.
- Assists in handling reference requests from the community.
- Works with staff in providing archives and special collections services.
- Develop innovative and possibly technologically advanced pedagogical methods for reference and instruction areas.
- Reviews professional literature to keep abreast of latest advances in librarianship.
- Looks for professional development opportunities.
- Library liaison to designated academic department.
- Other duties as assigned and accepted.
Works independently, within established guidelines. Must work collaboratively, collegially and cooperatively with diverse individuals and groups. Reports to the Library Director.
- Knowledge and abilities acquired through a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science.
- Demonstrated experience in an academic library environment sufficient to reveal competency and capability to work at a very competitive liberal arts college.