The Server Administrator will provide assistance in the areas of server support, security, and development. The primary role will be to support specialized server needs on campus. This position will be the point person for working with various academic and administrative departments to help plan, implement, and maintain specialized server hardware and software. The Server Administrator will also be expected to help maintain day to day core server operations and work closely with the Solutions Center team. Well-developed customer service and communication skills are a must.
It is the responsibility of all Juniata employees to be a part of a productive team and to model the qualities found in our Leadership Philosophy.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities
- Install, upgrade, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain server-based hardware and applications for core network operations as well as specialized departmental needs.
- Monitor and analyze Microsoft Windows and various UNIX server systems to proactively manage problems and security related issues.
- Assist in server related maintenance such as patching, rebooting, account maintenance, and security permissions.
- Monitor server security, perform routine security assessments, and manage software update services as well as day to day anti-virus updates and notifications.
- Assist in disaster recovery planning and deployment and ensure reliable backup procedures and operations.
- Investigate and analyze new server and technology solutions.
- Work closely with the Solutions Center Help Desk to troubleshoot server related issues and provide timely response to customer requests.
- Assist in creating technical documentation for systems, policies, and procedures and training documentation for technology workshops and seminars.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
This position is supervised by the Director of Campus Network and Security under general guidelines and direction and must be able to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others.
- Knowledge and abilities normally acquired through a degree in a technology related discipline or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Considerations would also be made for individuals who have a strong technical and analytical background with a desire to learn server management.
- Demonstrated knowledge with servers, server operations, and server applications in both a Microsoft Windows and UNIX environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge with server security, backup operations, and disaster recovery concepts.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Must be able to respond to system outages during off-hours.
- Specific knowledge of Ethernet networks and IP technology is strongly desired.
- After hours and on call support is required for emergencies and planned maintenance intervals.
- The position is primarily sedentary in a climate controlled office with little exposure to environmental hazards; however, due to the campus environment there will be a need to go from building to building for meetings, specialized department needs, and assisting with equipment relocation and wiring projects.
- The position may require lifting/pushing/carrying objects up to 40 pounds.
- Must have a strong sense of responsibility and integrity due to the level of system access required for this position.
- Must agree to and pass a background check.