Coordinates study abroad for the college and assists the Dean of the Center for International Education to lead a team to accomplish the overall mission of internationalization on the Juniata campus and implementation of key strategic plan objectives. Collaborates with the Dean of International Education and faculty in advising students for study abroad on exchange, third-party
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage the recruitment, selection, orientation and re-entry of about 300 study abroad students annually.
2. Assist the Dean with study abroad risk management and safety and security training of students, staff and faculty.
3. Maintain and share accurate study abroad databases using the Terra Dotta software.
4. Provide administrative support to faculty-led short-term programs abroad.
6. Coordinate with faculty and staff across campus to support students through the study abroad process.
7. Collaborate and communicate with about 40 overseas counterparts and partner institutions regarding outbound student applicants.
8. Collaborate with Dean to coordinate campus visits from partner institutions abroad, CIE events, and learning outcomes assessment and program evaluation.
1. Serve as the primary campus advisor for educational opportunities abroad: semester and year exchanges, third-party provider and international internship programs; short-term faculty led programs; and various college-supported student travel abroad.
2. Advise students, faculty, staff and parents on Juniata College’s administrative policies and procedures related to study abroad.
3. Work with faculty members to assess appropriate program placement with regard to academic, personal, professional, and financial goals for study abroad.
4. Guide students through Terra Dotta application, acceptance, registration, orientation, and evaluation processes.
6. Assist the Dean to support students in study abroad scholarship application processes.
Promotion and Outreach
1. Plan and lead events for the CIE, such as an annual study abroad fair, alumni and homecoming weekend, campus classroom visits, parent meetings, and prospective student enrollment events.
2. Oversee the International Peer Advising Program.
3. Represent Juniata at professional conferences and events.
1. Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through progressive experience of a minimum of five years in international education administration, as well as a relevant educational background through a Master’s degree.
2. Previous experience living/studying abroad (minimum three months). Facility with a second language desirable.
3. Minimum of two years in counseling/advising role, preferably in a study abroad office, including student advising, public speaking, handling confidential matters, and working with diverse constituencies.
4. Competency in Terra Dotta, computer applications, file management, information gathering and communication.
5. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy office.
6. The ability to perform extensive evening and weekend work and periodic domestic travel with the possibility for annual international travel.
Functions under established guidelines and with supervision of the Dean of Center for International Education. Works cooperatively and collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups on and off campus. Has supervisory responsibility over International Education Services Assistant.