Director of Study Abroad
DIRECTOR OF STUDY ABROAD
The Director of Study Abroad will report to Juniata’s Dean of International Education. The Director will administer study abroad for the college and will serve as a member of a team in the Center for International Education to accomplish the overall mission of internationalization on the Juniata campus and implementation of key strategic plan objectives. Collaborates with faculty in advising students for study abroad on exchange, third-party and faculty-led programs through orientation, while abroad and upon reentry. Responsible for planning and implementing study abroad promotion, recruitment and outreach activities. Assists the Dean of International Education in implementing policies and processes related to risk management and safety and security for study abroad and assists in responses to crisis management.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage the recruitment, selection, orientation and re-entry of about 400 study abroad students annually.
2. Provide administrative support to faculty-led short-term programs abroad.
3. Coordinate with faculty and staff across campus to support students through the study abroad process.
4. Collaborate and communicate with about 40 overseas counterparts and partner institutions regarding outbound student applicants.
5. Manage the Terra Dotta and web-based information associated with study abroad.
6. Maintain and share accurate study abroad databases using the Terra Dotta software.
7. Manage student billing for study abroad programs.
8. Assist the Dean with study abroad risk management and safety and security training of faculty, students, and staff.
9. Coordinate with CIE staff and administration, as well as parents and family, during study abroad emergencies/situations requiring urgent attention.
10. Under the Dean’s direction administer intercultural learning assessment tools, including assessment of student learning outcomes and analysis of CIE / program evaluations.
11. Collaborate with the Dean to coordinate campus visits from partner institutions abroad, CIE events, and learning outcomes assessment and program evaluation.
1. Serve as the primary campus advisor for educational opportunities abroad: semester and year exchanges, third-party provider and international internship programs; short-term faculty led programs; and various college-supported student travel abroad.
2. Guide students through Terra Dotta application, acceptance, registration, orientation, and evaluation processes.
3. Advise students, faculty, staff and parents on Juniata College’s administrative policies and procedures related to study abroad.
4. Communicate with faculty members to assess appropriate program placement with regard to academic, personal, professional, and financial goals for study abroad.
5. Support students in study abroad scholarship application processes.
Promotion and Outreach
1. Represent the CIE as needed and when the Dean is not available
2. Plan and lead events for the CIE, such as an annual study abroad fair, alumni and homecoming weekend, campus classroom visits, parent meetings, and prospective student enrollment events.
3. Represent Enrollment with prospective student events and activities such as telephone interviews.
4. Oversee the International Peer Advising Program.
5. As assigned by the Dean, conduct international site visits with current and potential partner institutions.
6. Represent Juniata at professional conferences and events.
1. Knowledge and capabilities normally acquired through progressive experience of a minimum of five years in international education administration, as well as a relevant educational background through a Master’s degree.
2. Minimum of two years in counseling/advising role, preferably in a study abroad office, including student advising, public speaking, handling confidential matters, and working with diverse constituencies.
3. Experience with risk management and safety and security protocols related to study abroad.
4. Competency in Terra Dotta or a similar application and information management software program, office computer applications, and information gathering and communication.
5. Previous experience living/studying abroad (minimum three months). Facility with a second language desirable.
6. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy office.
7. The ability to perform extensive evening and weekend work and periodic domestic travel with the possibility for annual international travel.
Supervision Required/Given Functions under established guidelines and with supervision of the Dean of International Education. Works cooperatively and collaboratively with diverse individuals and groups on and off campus. Has supervisory responsibility over International Education Services Assistant and a team of Study Abroad Peer Advisors and interns in the Center for International Education.
It is the policy of Juniata College to conduct background checks.
Juniata College takes positive steps to enhance diversity in both its community and its curriculum. The College commits to this policy not because of legal obligations but because it fully believes that such practices are basic to human dignity.
To apply for this position, please complete our online application (see link). Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and a listing of 3 references. Deadline for applications is April 26, 2019.